Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving in the US

Florida Junior
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Gtyler
    Hi.
    I'm from England and a pretty competant driver of 20 years. I'm taking my family to Disney in October for the first time & flying to Tampa and hiring a car. I'm hiring a villa in the Hampton lakes area.
    my question is, how easy is it to drive from there daily to the parks. is it relatively easy or are the roads badly sign posted. I'm hiring a sat-nav for the duration, but am worried that driving in the US might be a bit daunting. And how do the toll roads work and are there lots of them. As you can tell I'm a bit nervous of driving my family around. Please put my mind at rest. Much appreciated.
    Garry
    [/quote]

Like most of the posters, I have found driving in Florida relaxing and enjoyable. One tip, the petrol pumps are manually activated, lift the lever after removing the nozzle, unlike UK pumps [msnsmile]

wrpac00
    Whether its legal or not you WILL have to overtake on the right during your stay.

Drivers on their phones and Disney buses (to name but two) always drive in the outside lane 10-15 miles below the speed limit.

If you don't overtake on the right you be about the only person on the road in Orlando that doesn't.

Super Moderator
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrpac00
    Whether its legal or not you WILL have to overtake on the right during your stay.

Drivers on their phones and Disney buses (to name but two) always drive in the outside lane 10-15 miles below the speed limit.

If you don't overtake on the right you be about the only person on the road in Orlando that doesn't.
    [/quote]

That still does not make it right or legal.

Florida Chatterbox
    I think we are all trying to over complicate driving. All I have to say, the same precaution and safety you would take in the uk, do the same in the US and you will be find. With all things just plan ahead.

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Jill

[/quote]

[/quote]

The same applies to speeding, but everyone does it to some degree. I think you just have to be sensible - don't pass everything on the inside at 95mph in the slow lane, but if there is a lane hog in front tootling along, then go for it.
    Chris

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    316.084 When overtaking on the right is permitted.--

(1) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass on the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:

(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;

(b) Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement not occupied by parked vehicles of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving traffic in each direction;

(c) Upon a one-way street, or upon any roadway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles.

(2) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle on the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving off the pavement or main-traveled portion of the roadway.

(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318.

This to me means undertaking on a single carriageway road is not allowoed where you would have to mount the pavement (sidewalk) this to me seams obvious. On roadways with more than one lane of traffic it reads to me that you can overtake on both side.
    Lyn

Gold 5 Star Member
    Lyn,

Have you read the link in the post above, and the post itself.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums...12&whichpage=1

You have quoted in 316.084 which are the exceptions to 316.083(which states you must overtake on the left)

Again as stated above, the significant wording from 316.084 is "two or more lines of moving traffic in each direction"

That does mean lines of moving traffic(i.e. queues of vehicles). There is no dispute that if there are queues of vehicles on a 2 lane or 3 lane highway and the right hand lane is moving faster you can pass on the right.(the same rule applies in UK - albeit on the left)

Not as you are interpreting it which appears to be <span style="color:red">'sufficient room </span id="red"> for two or more lines of <s><span style="color:red">moving</span id="red"></s> traffic'

Why would Martin have got a ticket on the I4 for undertaking, as well as others.

Before others jump in(again) and state that illegal undertaking is commonplace - which it obviously is - the point was being made to the person above who stated that it was allowed - it ain't!

Florida Chatterbox
    Gary, all the replies are getting a bit complicated. In anwser to your original question - I find driving in Florida easy. Always have. I prefer to drive over there than in the UK. Im aged 50 and am slowing down on the roads now and find that driving these days is so manic. But in Florida I am still happy to drive although the I4 is getting a little like the M25 and I prefer to use the toll roads whenever possible. You will have no problem driving out there as an experienced driver of 20 years and you will be sad to get back home to our roads. Its an easy, well signposted drive to the parks from where you are staying. Once you get off I4 and onto the well signposted Disney highways you will get to all of the Disney parks easily and effortlessly. Similarly with Universal Studios and Sea World. Dont worry about driving over there your only possible problem would be the initial tiredness getting off the plane and venturing onto the roads but getting out of the airport is well signposted. Get a map and get your barings before you drive and this will help enormously. Good luck and enjoy your holiday. Gill

Florida Chatterbox
    Hi Garry,firstly i know how nerve racking it is driving in a different country, wrong side of the road wrong side of the car, ive been to florida every year since 2004 and only decided to get a car for the first time last year, believe me even in the uk il have a sat nav and still need my hubby to point the way, anyway as soon as i sat behind the steering wheel i felt at ease ive never felt at ease and so relaxed whilst driving than what i did in florida, i definately needed the sat nav infact i found it a god send, i enjoyed the driving so much that im going back in november with my 3 children on my own and have hired another car, I bet you after a couple of days youll be making excuses to pop to the shop just so you can drive the car, i did [msnsmile2]

wrpac00
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Jill

[/quote]

[/quote]

I didn't say it was right or legal. What I said was its impossible to drive in Orlando without overtaking on the inside because the vast majority of drivers their stay in the outside lane regardless.