Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We are back.

Florida Expert

We are back.

I will do a report and such like later when i can remember what we did and when but i will just say as i know it is a continualy subject of debate on here and other forums that Florida is so much more expensice than it used to be. Before anyone says it is down to the exchange rates, it is not. I am talking about like for like dollar prices to when i went in 2006 and even when Kaye's sister went last year. I would say food, eating out etc... has gone up by 25% since i went in 2006. Staple things like bread, milk, fresh fruit and other fresh produce we noticed the greatest increases.
    We didn't really do the factory outlets as the ones we did look at were not really cheap at all (Again this is based on like for like dollar prices to when we have gone previously). Now it may be due to the time of year we went and they tend to have more sales later in the year (Which would explain the higher prices for clothing etc...) but that should't affect the food prices.

Put it this way. When we went out for a meal in Kools on the 192 in 2006 the bill including tip was $70 for a starter or pudding plus main meal and drinks. This year we went to the same restaurant (Although it has changed names) and the same main meal plus drinks came in at $80 plus tip and that is without starter or pudding.

To be honest i was shocked and still am at how much prices had increased so much to say that (Baring in mind i am a seasoned florida junkie) it has partially put us off going back for a long while.
    Daniel, Kaye, Millie and Harvey

Florida Expert
    We noticed that supermarket prices in particular were a lot higher in Oct 09 than they had been in Oct 07, again not just due to the different exchange rate either.

We found it cheaper to eat out than to buy supermarket food and eat in.

What is Key W Cools called now then?

We had a great meal there in 2007 but a lousy one in 2009.

Florida Expert
    Kools is now called Wildside Bar and Grill. It is basically the same.

We also ate in Pacino's which was the sister restaurant to Kools and that was superb.

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by djdigitald

We also ate in Pacino's which was the sister restaurant to Kools and that was superb.
    [/quote]

IN 1997 we had a fantastic meal in Pacino's but never went again until 2007 when we had the worst meal of our holiday.

Florida Expert
    Couldn't fault Pacino's, infact we went there three times over the holiday!

Florida Chatterbox
    Increases in food prices in Orlando seems to be one of those subjects that keeps coming up.

I have to say I am mystified by those who consistently say prices are no higher. A wander around the supermarket brings it home in glaring terms - food prices in Orlando are now very high. All the spreadsheets in the world can't disguise that. From bread to cold meats and in particular fresh produce like meat and seafood - absolutely extortionate.

There was a time (and I remember it well) when buying groceries and eating out in Orlando were much cheaper than at home. That time is now gone and I suspect it is never coming back.

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Father
    Increases in food prices in Orlando seems to be one of those subjects that keeps coming up.

I have to say I am mystified by those who consistently say prices are no higher. A wander around the supermarket brings it home in glaring terms - food prices in Orlando are now very high. All the spreadsheets in the world can't disguise that. From bread to cold meats and in particular fresh produce like meat and seafood - absolutely extortionate.

There was a time (and I remember it well) when buying groceries and eating out in Orlando were much cheaper than at home. That time is now gone and I suspect it is never coming back.

[/quote]

I agree with everything you say. I have been over to Florida and the US 26 times now and this is the first time i have seen such a large increase in food prices since going previously. Yes i am sure if you shop around, like most american citizens would do you could find what you are looking for foos wise a lot cheaper BUT when you are on holiday that is one thing you don't want to do! It is bad enough doing that when looking for bargain clothes etc...

I agree - we though a lot of the food was really expensive- our first shop on arrival which had hardly any food but we got cleaning stuff etc was in excess of $150. I nearly died.

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lynnroy
    I agree - we though a lot of the food was really expensive- our first shop on arrival which had hardly any food but we got cleaning stuff etc was in excess of $150. I nearly died.

[/quote]

Ours was similar at $200 [msnoo] I thought Kaye was going to have a fit.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by djdigitald

[/quote]

I had no idea the name was changed, it used to be our favourite steak place in Orlando and we went regularly, but we didn't go last year because the staff all got to know us too well and expected big tips after I got over enthusiastic and too generous after 3 dirty martinis one year.

We'll maybe try Pacino's at Christmas.
    Tonish