Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: KLM/ Martinair.

Florida Expert

KLM/ Martinair.

Has anyone flown this route recently ( newcastle/amsterdam/orlando ) and can you tell me did you have to collect your baggage when you got to Schiphol and check it in again or was it just sent straight through to the connecting flight. Thanks.
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-38.aspx

I haven't flown that specific route but have transited through Schiphol several times (Air France / KLM / Delta) and never collected my luggage. If your ticket is all the way through there's no reason I can think of why you should collect your luggage to check them in again. If you have separate tickets then you will probably have too.

Florida Expert
    My flight is all one booking but some say you collect your luggage and some say you don`t this is why I was asking if anyone has flown the route recently. I will ring the airline and see if they can give me any information.Thanks anyway.

We did Heathrow/Amsterdam/Orlando with KLM/Martinair this March and our luggage was checked in at Heathrow and we didn't pick it up again until we arrived in Orlando.

It was the same coming home. Checked bags in at Orlando and picked them up again at Heathrow.

You are treated as an "in transit" passenger at Schipol, both ways, so you don't go through immigration/customs or anything like that, so you don't get your checked luggage until your final destination.
    Carla

Florida Expert
    Thanks Carla.

Florida Savvy
    We flew KLM/Martinair Newcastle/Amsterdam/Orlando in May this year. Our luggage went straight through to Orlando. Got to say the Martinair flight wasn't that good. Three hours late, no choice of food when they got to us and no seat back tvs. I wouldn't fly with them again.

Also does anybody know why you need to go through security once you've cleared customs at Orlando? What's the point when you're entering the country and have only been on a flight since you last went through security and even a body scanner!

Christine

Florida Savvy
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Dopeysfriend
    Also does anybody know why you need to go through security once you've cleared customs at Orlando? What's the point when you're entering the country and have only been on a flight since you last went through security and even a body scanner![/quote]
    They do this at some terminals when the design means incoming passengers are able to mix with outgoing passengers who have already passed security... ie before you get on the train to go to the main terminal. Otherwise the security of outgoing flights would be dependant upon the current standards at foreign airports?

Last time I flew with Virgin they'd changed it so we were separated right up to the train - ie no need for second security. It's still my favourite airport, but you can see how some of the design was pre-international threats.

You would only have to collect your luggage if you were landing at a US airport as you are
    travelling Amsterdam - Orlando it will go straight through.