Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beaches in Florida

Florida Junior

Beaches in Florida

Hi all..
    We are flying out to Orlando next Tuesday and the family wanted to take in a day at the beach.
    We are staying @ Windsor Hills resort, so could you please help in advising on the following please...
    1:Which beach to visit for the day.?
    2:How long the travelling time.?
    3:Anyone know if the oil has reached any beaches yet in florida.?
    4:Are there an play areas for kids near the beach..?

many thanks in advance for your help and advice...
    Thanks
    Mark

Gold 5 Star Member
    We have been to clearwater which was about 1 hour 20 minutes and coco beach which is nearer and both great beaches and good facilities.
    Jan&Steve

Florida Chatterbox
    In February we drove down to Holmes Beach on Anna Maria Island. About 2 hours from the Kissimmee area. It was fantastic, lots of facilities and the 'Cafe on the Beach' was well worth it. Sunset is something you'll never forget.
    Garry Pullan

Gold 5 Star Member
    We have just returned from the gulf coast and no oil present in fact the water is crystal clear. I will on my return home tonight post a couple of photos for you.

I recommend the Cape Haze peninsular 2 and half hours from orlando but well worth it. Many stunning beaches to choose from if you could go for longer Don Pedro is an island only accessible by boat but on Friday last for the first 3 hours we were alone apart from the sea birds, a wonderful feeling. When other arrived we were a total of 6.

Lynne

Gold 5 Star Member
    As promised a few days late but better late than never.

These were taken the third week of May 2010.

Lynne

Thanks for posting the photos Lynne. Don Pedro beach looks stunning.

Bernie

We were on Reddington Beach two weeks ago, our villa is not far from Windsor Hills and it takes us about an hour at the most. I know since we were there they have had more problems with the oil spill in the gulf but the beach was lovely and clean and the water was clear.

Val

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:they have had more problems with the oil spill in the gulf[/quote]

The oil is affecting the coast and wetlands of Louisiana/Mississippi [msnsad] sadly; the coastline of Florida Tampa, Sarasota and on to the Cape Haze peninsular have yet to be affected.

The Gulf currents are more likely [msnsad]to take the oil to the Florida keys if this pipe continues to gush and the incompetence of BP continues, do not get me started on this one.

So at the present Florida coastline is ok, thank goodness. unless over the last couple of days the Panhandle or keys have seen a change.

The photos above are of South Beach on Gasparilla Island which is accessible by car, about 10/15 minutes from Rotonda West. Sorry if it seemed they were of Don Pedro I have attached a couple of this island below.

Boating is relatively easy, especially if sensible, bit like anything really; we were novices a couple of years back still are, gosh masses to learn still. The marina we use have excellent well kept boats which is important and excellent chart. They give instruction before letting you loose. Follow these instructions and take it easy and you will be fine, docking is probably the most difficult when returning.

There are cheaper available but like anything you get what you pay for and I would not take a boat if charts and instruction were not supplied
    I would be wary perhaps in the height of the season renting for the first time as it does get busy and you do need to follow the markers so you are on the correct side in and out. Once in open water you need to b aware of where other boats are and what they are doing.

Lynne

Yesterday went down to St Johns Pass and Treasure Island,just south of Clearwater, amazing beaches and shops/bars not quite as busy as Clearwater, and in true British holiday maker fashion got sun burnt!

Florida Chatterbox
    They are now predicting it will hit the beaches in Florida next week.

It makes me so angry when you see the beautiful pictures above and think all this could be ruined for years, if not for ever and you can be sure that at the heart of the problem will have been greed.