Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: USA/Florida now becoming unviable?

wrpac00
    We go for 3 months as well and get a lot of stuff at BJ's. Last year our outgoings were far less than what they are in the UK.

Florida Savvy
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrpac00
    We go for 3 months as well and get a lot of stuff at BJ's. Last year our outgoings were far less than what they are in the UK.
    [/quote]

Where's BJs if you don't mind me asking Paul and just what do they sell there?
    Karen

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:We spend longer periods than the average holidaymaker so are better able to judge the costs of food in the supermarkets. We spent 3 months over the Christmas/New Year recently [/quote]

Really?

No other qualifications needed?

Gold 5 Star Member
    My final contribution on this subject!

Yesterday I received my Amex bill covering my most recent trip to the US. On 16 May my wife and I had lunch at the Cheesecake Factory in Naples. We shared a hummus & flatbread starter and then I had a mineral water and a smaller (lunch sized) pasta meal while my wife had a rice and seafood dish with a soft drink. No dessert, no coffee, no alcohol. I don't recall the precise amount I tipped on this occasion but I always give between 18-20%. My statement shows that meal cost me £36.

We enjoyed the meal and I would have no hesitation in going back and paying the same amount in the future. However, I could very easily have had a comparable lunch in a comparable restaurant here at home for less than that and indeed have done so in the last few days. I have no desire to drink multiple coffees or cokes during my meal even if they are free (and at the Cheesecake Factory they aren't).

A couple of years ago, that meal would probably have cost between £20 & £25 and earlier this year, about £31. I have visited and bought meals in the US, Europe and Asia already this year and there is no doubt that prices across the world are rising but the impact of the £/$ exchange rate collapse over the past couple of years has a had a dramatic effect on the differences between prices in the US & UK. Claims that goods across the board are 'much cheaper' or even 'half the price' in US supermarkets and stores these days are, frankly, fantasy.

I'll keep going to the US because it has a lot to offer as a holiday destination (and those who wish to promote its benefits instead of just seeking to trash the competition have plenty to work with) but I won't be attempting to persuade myself and others that it's the land of cheap prices and bargain eating out anymore. I'd love to go back to the $2/£1 days but, for now, I'll have to live in the real world.

you went to the cheescake factory and didn't have any ?!?! Shame on you

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Susan J
    you went to the cheescake factory and didn't have any ?!?! Shame on you
    [/quote]

Usually do!!!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    My final contribution on this subject!
    Yesterday I received my Amex bill covering my most recent ......[/quote]Are you sure about that Katys Grandad.......!!!!!!
    Wendy

Florida Chatterbox
    We do most of our purchases for basic food items in Aldi (I don't go to that one but there is one on US27 in Haines City) - gallon of milk is $2.69, pound of butter is $1.89, loaf of basic bread is $0.89, Vidalia onions were 90c pound - vegetables have doubled here because of hard winter, they are slowly going down now.
    24 pack of 12oz (330ml, standard size) Pepsi is $5.35 inc tax at Walmart at the moment and a 2litre Pepsi was 95 cents.
    We have an electric bread maker as we don't like the bread much here, a loaf costs us about 30cents to make in ingredients, flour is cheap, as are most other basic foodstuffs, anything fancy in a box with a big brand name on will be expensive though.
    We get great Tbone or ribeye steak from WinnDixie, about $6 - $7 a pound, gone up a lot but it is so much better than any steak I ever bought in UK. That's the only thing we ever buy in WinnDixie though, a very expensive store, much like Publix. The special offers can be OK but otherwise we avoid those stores.

We find the fresh bread and salads also the fresh vegetables stay fresh a lot lomger in the USA than in UK ,I go to asda here and have to use them much quicker ,
    We buy Italian slice bread from Publics and it is lovely and not expensive compared to special bread here and i finish up toasting here as i do not like throwing food away .
    MAUREEN
    www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:We buy Italian slice bread from Publics and it is lovely and not expensive compared to special bread here[/quote]

Actually Publix have a 'special' this week(thru 2nd June - see online, mustn't post link)

A 16oz loaf of Italian 5 grain bread made in their bakery can be obtained for $2.79(it is normally $3.59) - so at £1 = $1.40 that is £2 or £2.56.

Now Sainsburys - not a cheap store - have a large choice of breads.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/grocerie...=1275208651873

Their farmhouse wholemeal loaf is on a special and for 16oz the price works out at 41pence - normally 55pence.

Their malted grain loaf('so organic') not on a special also costs £1 for 800g - so for 16oz would cost 55p

Their multiseeded loaf(taste the difference)not on a special, costs £1.19 for 800g so 16oz would cost 65p.

So Publix bread costs £2 on special £2.56 regular price. The same size loaf in Sainsburys costs between 41p on a special to 65p.

Now that seems to me that Publix bread is about 400% to 500% more expensive than Sainsburys.

The extra cost must be all the sugar they put in American bread[msnwink]