Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USA/Florida now becoming unviable?

USA/Florida now becoming unviable?

As much as I love holidaying in Orlando, there comes a point when we need to take a step back and think. With rising air fares and a plummeting exchange rate, the USA is fast becoming unviable as a holiday destination.

The same flights this year are £303 pp more expensive than last year, and the exchange rate is now 22c less per £ than last year, USA is fast approaching my cut-off point for holidays. My guess is that the exchange rate will drop to £1.38 before month's end, airfares have not yet peaked as you will need to factor in lost revenue from ash clouds (this revenue will need to be recovered somehow).

Yes $1.38 is my cut off....what's yours?

Gold 5 Star Member
    I'm sure we all review things each time we're considering splashing out and I agree that there's been a lot of bad news cost-wise recently. Without any doubt, the price of a US holiday has rocketed over the past couple of years so I've cut down but still manage to do it - although much less frequently.

At the moment my big concern is that the June Budget will put even more tax on airfares. That might be the final straw for me.

I think it's interesting to note that about 10 or 12 years ago, going to Florida / Disney was classified as a dream holiday - pretty much a "once in a lifetime" affair.

I know when I went for the first time, I had dreamed about it since I was a kid, and had saved really hard over an extended period to get there.

Shortly after my return from that epic trip, there was a sudden rise in affordable flights and pretty soon "everyone" was visiting the Mouse !

Now what political, business or currency related factors caused this to happen is long since lost in the grey matter inside my noggin, but it does demonstrate that as with all cyclical events - as we know history has a habit of repeating itself - whilst getting to Florida is currently proving more expensive than it has been, I do not believe for one second that will ALWAYS be the case.

For those who have been lucky enough in the past decade to take multiple annual trips to Disney, there may be a slight reduction of visits in the current climate, but equally, there will always be enough new visitors who want to travel there and like me on my first trip, are determined to do so, no matter how long it takes to save up.

So, unviable ? No - of course not ! That is a perceived generalisation based on one's own circumstances.

Everyone's pocket and "wish list" for a Disney vacation is different - which is why discussing an individual's "cut off" point is pretty redundant.

As with all things in life, it is simply a case of, if necessary, cutting your cloth accordingly. [8D]
    Chris & Peter

We have had more inquiries for 2011 earlier than ever this year so it is not all bad news ,may be it need a good budget on 22 JUNE so we will wait and see if he is fair with eveyone ,He has always said if you do not work you will only get help for a while so we will see .
    As said before we will have to cut our cloth
    MAUREEN
    www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:At the moment my big concern is that the June Budget will put even more tax on airfares. That might be the final straw for me.[/quote]

Interestingly the Cameron/Klegg road show has just announced their 'Wish List' for this Parliament.

Whilst 'dream on' would seem an appropriate comment for many of their measures, their intent on airfare tax will be easy to enforce.

They say 'Air passenger duty replaced with per-flight duty.' So a half empty plane will pay the same as a full plane.

Given they are unlikely to reduce this tax, it seems that it will inevitably will be an additional expense to the airlines. It might also lead to reduced service for those routes that do not attract a full loading.

On the other hand it might make 'last minute - standby' deals a little cheaper. If they have to pay the tax on every seat even if unfilled, they might as well get passengers even at reduced fares.

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    I always price out a 2 week holiday for 4 in a hotel in Spain in August and then work out 2 weeks in a villa in Orlando-the comparison factoring in the service,facilities in a villa and general feelgood factor always makes me feel better about going to Orlando-I use to budget at £1000 per person but have put this up to £1200 per person on average over the last 2 years.So it has gone up but every where has I suppose you look at your budget and make your choice.

wrpac00
    Airfares do not seem to have changed much since last year, I certainly haven't seen a £303 increase in fact my son and his girlfriend paid £332 each for their VA flights for mid June.

As far as the exchange rate is concerned its been up and down in the 17 years we have been going. As high as $2 to the £ and as low as $1.30 to the £.

Compared to Europe for the same level on accomodation its still cost effective, it certainly isn't unviable.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Whether it's viable or not (and in this instance that's the same as 'affordable') is entirely subjective and there isn't a definitive answer to the question.

There are a lot of people for whom a Florida holiday has never been viable and a few lucky ones for whom the price is always going to be irrelevant. The rest of us are in-between those extremes and have to decide where our cut-off point is, based on our own circumstances at the time.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Florida is a great place to go and still cost efficient even though the flights are more expensive than Europe. We are going to our villa this year and flights with BA direct (although may regret booking BA) were £2200 for 4 in peak time August. Still with the pound weak against the dollar, it's still great value in terms of accommodation, quality and eating out costs. We did have a look at Turkey this year and for one week in a small apartment was £2400 and that is without food. We also stayed in a small french resort in the Alps between christmas and new year and we paid €14 for 2 cans of coke and 2 cold hot chocolates. Plus car hire is fantastic value in Florida. We hired a car at Turin for our short break to France and we had to pay a €600 deposit even though we purchased additional damage waiver insurance. With car hire in Florida, you don't have to leave a great big deposit like that and the irony of it was, we paid over £150 for 5 days car hire which turned out to be a wreck and because we drove it across the border to France we had to sign a disclaimer that is anything happened to the car in France we would be totally liable.

Food and drink is such good value in the US compared to Europe. The weather is great, the people are friendly and no "jippy tummy".

We all have to make different sacrafices to some parts of our holiday and there is so much to do in Florida other than the theme parks. We have managed on $600 for 2 weeks for 4, so everything is viable (and only a couple of years ago).

It will always a place that people want to visit.[msnsmile]
    Jan&Steve

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Yes $1.38 is my cut off....what's yours?[/quote]

Looks like you won't be going then[msnwink] as the tourist rate is below $1.38 at most outlets.