Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When does your holiday start?

Like the sound of the Hot choc
    I do everything too..........think hubby worked that on me really, but now the next question........how about the trip home to UK?!?! [or other part of US] bet you're not at the airport as early then? We are though

Florida Savvy
    Funny how many of us do it all and partners just turn up for the flight[msnsmile2] I have one like that.....oh wait, that's doing him a disservice as he does pack his own suitcase.

Seriously though our travel experiences for airport journeys are like chalk and cheese. The number of flights we have almost missed (Florida to the UK and UK to Florida) because my other half is so laid back, he's almost horizontal it's unbelivable. The year we bought our house in Florida on one trip we turned up at Sanford just as the check in was closing but as my husband says, almost doesn't count we've always made the flight.

Having said that, I drive him crackers with my ritual cleaning of our house in the UK before we leave. It's the same every time, I do all the things I've meant to do for ages and the house is perfect just before we go. That is for about five minutes until my sons gets home from Uni and turns it into a tip[msnsad]. One of them lives at home so my joy is normally short lived on that front!

Can't change my other half, he hates hanging around at the airport, whilst I don't mind it at all. In fact I find checking the bags in and being able to wander around quite nice before a long flight.

Still, he has some good points, bless him.
    Karen

I am with your husband Susan, my husband would be with you........wanna trade?[msnwink][msnwink]
    For trips to Florida there is very little to pack as we have everything we need right there so technically we could travel just with hand luggage but we take the suitcases for the return journey and all our shopping!

When we are going somewhere else the planning starts before we even book, once we have booked the euphoria lasts a little while with lots of research on the internet, and then things cool down until about a month before we go when I start making lists and buying things we will need for our trip!!

Liz

I am like Karen, I clean the house from top to bottom before we go. My Mum used to do it too, she said that if anything happened to her while on holiday, she would hate for someone to have to come into her house and find it dirty. I seem to be the same. As for packing, I usually do it and then my husband comes in and says, 'you don't need that or that or that' and takes out all the extras. It makes me mad, but now as we leave most of our stuff in Florida we only need hand luggage, at least on the outward journey, the return is somewhat different, we are usually loaded down.

Andrena

Super Moderator
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Funny how many of us do it all and partners just turn up for the flight I have one like that.....oh wait, that's doing him a disservice as he does pack his own suitcase[/quote]

You are lucky your other half does that much - I flew out a week ahead this time and Stuart said as I was flying with Andrew and he had hold luggage I could take his odd bits with me and put them in the hold so he only had to bring camera, book, passport and money. Next time I will let him fly out a week early.

Florida Chatterbox
    I consider the holiday starts when you drive away from home heading for the airport.

I have what I call "Oh Yeah" moments.

I like to fly and love the feeling when we turn off the taxiway on to the far end of the runway and the pilot winds up the engines, you get that push in the back as you hurtle down the runway. The springs in the undercarriage absorbing the undulations of the runway, faster and faster then smoothness as the pilot rotates the plane and you start to climb. (Oh Yeah 1)

Then 9 hours of looking at your watch wondering how long until we are there and working out the time difference. Are we there yet! Yawn!

Then you start to descend and you are on approach. Lower and lower, final approach, flaps down, now I'm sure that this is when the pilots deliberately start to faff about, left a bit, power back on a bit, right a bit, power off, another adjustment power back on, the ground is getting closer, for goodness sake just land the thing, then bump, reverse thrust, any landing is a good landing. (Oh Yeah 2)

Taxi round to the terminal, up to the gate, the walkway comes up and touches the plane, the door opens and the air changes, you can start to smell different smells. (Oh Yeah 3)

You walk off the plane, US soil, you feel the temperature rise. (Oh Yeah 4)

AND WE HAVE ONLY JUST ARRIVED !!

I just love holidays !!

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    Why do we women do it all, in my case we could arrive and have no clothes at all hubby wouldn't know untill he looked in the wardrobe[msnsad] But if I let him pack he would take anything he owned, the shorts he does the gardening in, the t shirt he uses for painting, you get the picture.
    Lyn

You know what .... I reckon it has been breed in to these men to look totally vague at times like this .... it is a good job we are as good as we are ladies .... of course we have to do everything for everyone all the time BUT ... we apparently can't bar-b-que ..... now that is a MAN's job !!!![msnwink]
    Wendy

Florida Junior
    For me holiday starts the moment I set up the vacation rule and close down the pc before leaving the office.

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    Wendy, I agree with you totally.
    Lyn