Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Napkins

Florida Expert

Napkins

Please can someone tell me what a napkin is? I had a guest (American) ask if he needed to bring his own and I didnt know what he meant. I couldnt understand someone bringing serviettes.

Florida Expert
    Gosh my mind is a blank at the moment as I cannot think of another way to say this word. Napkins are the things you use to wipe your mouth and hands while eating. they either come in paper or material. Usually when you buy the place mats made out of material they usually come with a napkin.
    Patti

www.orlandovillas.com/Villas/263.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    Like Patti said, napkins are used to wipe your mouth at dinner. They are the things that you can never have enough of at McDonald's. Most people just use the disposable paper ones, but in fancy restaurants and such, they would be an accessory to the linen tablecloth. Just curious, what would be the UK word for a napkin?
    Teresa

Gold 5 Star Member
    As Chris said it would be a serviette. I can't understand guests being particular enough to take their own on holiday if none were supplied.
    Babblin Boo

Isn't it the US term for our flannel
    Kerry

Gold 5 Star Member
    I thought a flannel was a washcloth
    Ruth

Florida Expert
    NO we dont use the word flannel for a wash cloth. I suppose you can call it a hand towel also. Those are the small ones used to either wash dishes ( I personaly use a sponge) or the small square ones in the bathrooms.
    Patti

www.orlandovillas.com/Villas/263.aspx

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    Just to confuse matters, I've always called them napkin's no matter where I am - US or UK [msnsmile]

Gold 5 Star Member
    quote:the small square ones in the bathrooms
    Those are flannels in the UK (sometimes called face flannels) and are used to wash yourself with and hand towels are called, well... hand towels!

John, it depends whether you were bought up 'posh' or not! Posh = napkins and non-posh = serviettes! [msnwink]
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    quote:Originally posted by blott

quote:the small square ones in the bathrooms
    John, it depends whether you were bought up 'posh' or not! Posh = napkins and non-posh = serviettes! [msnwink]
    Well, I guess that tells us how John was brought up!
    Teresa