Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Napkins

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ctgirlscout
    I hate to confuse matters, but there is a woman's product that is also sometimes referred to a "napkin". I'm assuming Chris' guest wasn't referring to these!
    [/quote]
    LOL Theresa, that tickled me

Liz

Gold 5 Star Member
    I had American guests who asked for a welcome grocery pack and who was delighted with most of the products but felt that the basic essentials should have been included such as paper towels and napkins, so maybe they are used a lot more over there for every day use.
    Babblin Boo

We have had several US guests leave part used packs of paper napkins and paper plates in our villa, we even got a box of fancy paper napkins as part of our furniture package! I guess they are used a lot more in the US than in the UK.
    Julie

Gold 5 Star Member
    Good old kitchen towel suffices for everday use in our house.
    Babblin Boo

I have noticed on some " wife Swap" type programmes that a lot of women serve 'dinner' up on paper plates, and throw them away afterwards. Is this common practice, as, when walking around Costco in Fl I have seen a few trollies stacked with napkins and paper plates?
    I would take it to mean disposable napkins for the Kitchen table, I usually leave some out for folk.

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
    &lt;blockquote id="quote"&gt;&lt;font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote"&gt;quote:&lt;hr height="1" noshade id="quote"&gt;the small square ones in the bathrooms[/quote] Those are flannels in the UK (sometimes called face flannels) and are used to wash yourself with and hand towels are called, well... hand towels!

<span style="color:red">John, it depends whether you were bought up 'posh' or not! Posh = napkins and non-posh = serviettes</span id="red">! [msnwink]
    [/quote]

I'm with John on this one - I've always called it a napkin wherever I am!! [msnwink]

emm

http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1582.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Susan J
    I have noticed on some " wife Swap" type programmes that a lot of women serve 'dinner' up on paper plates, and throw them away afterwards. Is this common practice, as, when walking around Costco in Fl I have seen a few trollies stacked with napkins and paper plates?
    I would take it to mean disposable napkins for the Kitchen table, I usually leave some out for folk.
    [/quote]

Only if they are really lazy surely! More likely for a party or BBQ you would hope[msneek]
    CDV

Florida Newbie
    OK so you all know

A napkin is used in a restaurant to place on your lap and to wipe your mouth. They are usually made of cloth and are washed not disposed of.

A serviette is the paper type you get in macdonalds and alot of other places.
    I think that pretty much sums it up lol

Florida Expert
    A Napkin.......... used to wipe one's mouth during and after eating. Can be paper or cloth. I've never known anyone bringing their own napkins anywhere?
    A Kleenex......... come in boxes and are primarily used for wiping one's nose.
    A Washcloth...... used to wash one's face.
    Sanitary Towel... pretty self explanable
    Bathroon Tissue... found in bathrooms on little rollers. Used for.... well, you know!
    Bathroom, Restroom, Ladies Room, Mens Room.....toilet
    Dishcloth.... used in the kitchen, kitchen towel.
    Towels come in three sizes... hand towels, bath towels, and beach towels.

Two countries seperated by a common language!
    Jeff & Amy Stephens

Florida Chatterbox
    I'm fascinated by these explanations, so what do they call Tea Towels in America?

I went shopping once with our American friends and she took me to the Mall at Milenia, as I was in a large store I thought I would look for a key case. I couldn't make her understand what I was looking for until we realised that in America they only use one key whereas here we have keys for all our external doors.

Our friend only has two keys on a key chain, one for the house the other for the car.

Now I realise why they have so many key chains around for sale.