Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: REUSABLE SHOPPING BAGS IN FOOD STORES?

Florida Chatterbox

REUSABLE SHOPPING BAGS IN FOOD STORES?

On our last trip March 2009, all the food stores were selling reusable bags. Do they still supply plastic bags or are they encouraging you to use your own bags.

I have a large collection of "green shopping bags" so I don't really need to add anymore to it (did that last year[msnwink]) If they can be taken into Walmart etc then I'll take some with me.

It'll save me a trip there on our last day to recycle the bags we don't use.

Amazing how quickly you pick up the recycling habit.

It doesn't feel right to put recycling items in the trash, I'm hoping they have some sort of collection where we're staying this year.

You can take you own bags to any shop. If you have a 'large' collection of 'green bags' then are you being green [msnwink]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by bargainqueen
    On our last trip March 2009, all the food stores were selling reusable bags. Do they still supply plastic bags or are they encouraging you to use your own bags.

I have a large collection of "green shopping bags" so I don't really need to add anymore to it (did that last year[msnwink]) If they can be taken into Walmart etc then I'll take some with me.

It'll save me a trip there on our last day to recycle the bags we don't use.

Amazing how quickly you pick up the recycling habit.

It doesn't feel right to put recycling items in the trash, I'm hoping they have some sort of collection where we're staying this year.
    [/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    At Hampton Lakes and other developments i Polk County we have a yellow recycling box, I personally cant remember all the things they take but includes paper , jars bottles etc. I've written it all on the side of my box with a Sharpie pen to hopefully encourage everyone to use it.

It you want some really good bags ( I know you've got plenty but these are brill) check out the laundry section in Walmart. I bought 2 mesh ones about 10 years ago (they claim to hold 40lbs and I can virtually guarantee that whenever I use them the checkout operators will ask where I got them and how useful they are. They are now repackaging them as green bags I notcied. Christmas last year was the first time I have been able to buy any since I first got them so I bought half a dozen for stocking fillers. They are so strong its amazing but so small I can keep 2 in my handbag and not notice any weight difference.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks for that info, I thought I'd seen signs previously that you weren't allowed to take any bag in bigger than a handbag. So I wondered how they would introduce the changeover to a reusable shopping bag.

I'll have to sneak some into the case before the husband sees them. He dislikes them as he thinks they take up too much room in the boot of the carHe likes it to be left empty for his golf clubs and trolley.

In Spain Carrefour now let you take your own shopping bags in, previously any shopping bag had to be sealed before you were allowed into the store.

Florida Chatterbox
    Our posts crossed, I'll have a look to see if I can find them. A girl can never have too many bags[8D]

We normally go into Walmart most evenings but I've still never managed to look around the whole store.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by bargainqueen
    Our posts crossed, I'll have a look to see if I can find them. A girl can never have too many bags[8D]

We normally go into Walmart most evenings but I've still never managed to look around the whole store.
    [/quote]
    Forgot to say they are around $3 but as I say I have had in use every week virtually for the last 10 years.
    Babblin Boo

We got a free green bag at Publix last week :-)

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    At the risk of incurring wrath of all sorts........is this a female thing?...............the furthest thought from my mind when I am going on holiday is whether I should take eco friendly shopping bags.....as randy jackson would say-"i just don't get it dawg"[msnwink]

Florida Chatterbox
    I suppose it is a female thing. My thinking is that why buy something abroad which you already have plenty of at home. Put it in the case and use it.

Mind you if they are giving them away (Publix) then I'll take one[msnwink]

Also after seeing the programme about the problems that plastic bags cause I try to restrict the amount I use. I doubt very much my small contribution helps the planet but every little bit helps.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I have a lot of green bags..but I always leave them in the car so get plastic anyway which I use for gardening and rubbish bins.

We get paid 5 cents if we use our bags..when I used to remember them they paid for themselves in a few months..