Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3G Pay As You Go USB Sticks

Florida Newbie
    Nottingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

3G Pay As You Go USB Sticks

Hi,

All this recent kerfuffle got me thinking about how much we take the internet for granted.

We go (hopefully!) Next Friday and my wife wants to take her laptop with her for various reasons (she runs her own business and may want/need to check emails occasionally) and where we are staying doesn't have internet access.

My wife uses a Vodaphone 3G PAYG USB Stick for her laptop in the UK for those times when we can't get Wireless access free/cheaply.

Are such things available in the US? Where might I get one from if needed? Whats 3G coverage like?

Thanks

Gareth

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by GarethP
    Hi,

All this recent kerfuffle got me thinking about how much we take the internet for granted.

We go (hopefully!) Next Friday and my wife wants to take her laptop with her for various reasons (she runs her own business and may want/need to check emails occasionally) and where we are staying doesn't have internet access.

My wife uses a Vodaphone 3G PAYG USB Stick for her laptop in the UK for those times when we can't get Wireless access free/cheaply.

Are such things available in the US? Where might I get one from if needed? Whats 3G coverage like?

Thanks

Gareth
    [/quote]
    These kinds of devices are certainly available...for example:

http://support.t-mobile.com/main.htm...revPageIndex=1

I'm not sure if they are available on PAYG though.
    Keith

Florida Chatterbox
    Im sure you can buy usb dongles but a cheaper alternative is to take your laptop down to any mcdonalds and sit in the car park as everyone has free wifi access, and if your hungry you can always get something to eat[clap].

hope this helps

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    We bought a cheap AT&T Go phone which is basically a cheap phone with a PAYG sim card. You can buy credits and assign them to voice, data etc etc. 100Mb of data costs $19.99 which is not bad.

We stuck the sim card in our MiFi and can now get 3G access to up to 5 devices at a time wherever we are in the USA. The coverage is great all around the Orlando and Kissimmee areas. We've had 3G wherever we have gone and it's pretty fast.

Florida Newbie
    Many thanks everyone

I'd forgotten about McDs Free WiFi too! I'm sure my wife will be happy about that!

Gold 5 Star Member
    Starbucks also do free wifi and if you dont want to take the laptop then the libraries offer free computer use.
    Babblin Boo

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    Apple Stores are always good for free wifi too [msnsmile].

So do Panera Bread and Atlanta Bread Company - they do some great soups and sandwiches, too!
    ellie

Gold 5 Star Member
    My vote would be for a MiFi device, with PAYG SIM cards
    Can be used in both the USA and UK

Florida Newbie
    I saw those whilst surfing the Walmart site trying to do some research - what are they exactly? An ADSL modem type thing but 3G instead of plugged in, with a wireless router attached?