Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alamo Mid-Size SUV

Florida Chatterbox

Alamo Mid-Size SUV

Dodge
    Last edited by Father; 04-01-2012 at 13:15.

It's nice to know. We have rented a mid-size SUV from Alamo too for next June in PHX, I wonder if we'll get the same kind of choice. We also went for Alamo mainly because they let you pick what you want and DH just loves that . Now I'm not sure I and the kids will have the same enthusiasm after a 10h30 flight [msnwink].

Hi

Just wondering what Alamo is like now to rent from as we did rent in the past (5 years ago) and found them very slow, and always a huge que which took forever.
    We have been renting from Hertz recently and they are great but Alamo is cheaper.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lafifille
    It's nice to know. We have rented a mid-size SUV from Alamo too for next June in PHX, I wonder if we'll get the same kind of choice. We also went for Alamo mainly because they let you pick what you want and DH just loves that . Now I'm not sure I and the kids will have the same enthusiasm after a 10h30 flight [msnwink].[/quote]Going off topic here I know, but be careful at PHX. They levy quite a hefty airport surcharge on rentals and I've found that Alamo's selection is very limited (I accept that I might just have been there at bad time).

Should be warm enough there in June though.[msnwink]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lafifille
    It's nice to know. We have rented a mid-size SUV from Alamo too for next June in PHX, I wonder if we'll get the same kind of choice. We also went for Alamo mainly because they let you pick what you want and DH just loves that . Now I'm not sure I and the kids will have the same enthusiasm after a 10h30 flight [msnwink].[/quote]Going off topic here I know, but be careful at PHX. They levy quite a hefty airport surcharge on rentals and I've found that Alamo's selection is very limited (I accept that I might just have been there at bad time).

Should be warm enough there in June though.[msnwink] [/quote]

Thanks! I have definitely noticed the surcharge, but managed to get a good price with all taxes (stadium too, as if we cared...) and insurances included. No way around it anyway...[}] . DH wants to be able to pick his car, and as far as I know only Alamo lets you do that (although I remeber Avis made us pick on a leaflet once). We'll see what we get when we are there. We're landing on a sunday night, so I hope we'll get more choice with all the week-end turists leaving...?

Back to topic:
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i] Just wondering what Alamo is like now to rent from as we did rent in the past (5 years ago) and found them very slow, and always a huge que which took forever.
    We have been renting from Hertz recently and they are great but Alamo is cheaper.[/quote]

When travelling with DH I tend to go for the cheapest, and I can't say one company has been better or worse than any other.
    Our last two experiences with Alamo (Las Vegas and Kansas City) we met no queues at all. MCO might be a different story, but Roger has said in another post that it will soon be possible to skip the queue and use online check-in.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Don't forget that you csn use Uscarhire for other places than Florida in the USA, including PHX.

http://www.uscarhire.co.uk/rest_of_usa_car_hire.aspx
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
    Don't forget that you csn use Uscarhire for other places than Florida in the USA, including PHX.

http://www.uscarhire.co.uk/rest_of_usa_car_hire.aspx[/quote]Not if you want to rent with Alamo at PHX though.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Not if you want to rent with Alamo at PHX though.[/quote]But it does include surcharges.
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    Not if you want to rent with Alamo at PHX though.[/quote]But it does include surcharges.[/quote]I don't know for sure but I rather doubt it does although I'd be very happy to hear to the contrary.

I'd be interested to hear on that point from somebody who has actually rented from PHX airport through US Car Hire because my understanding is that the airport surcharge I'm referring to is similar to that levied at MCO (and not included) but very much higher. I know a number of people who have been caught by it (including me!).

The surcharge was introduced when all the rental firms moved into a purpose built facility a mile or so from the airport. It's quite an impressive set up with all the firms using a joint shuttle service. Of course, it all had to be paid for and that is done through the charge I'm referring to.

If you refer to the Customer facility charge, which I think you do, it's $6 PER DAY. So yes, you really want it to be included in your quote. It is in mine, along with the dumb Stadium charge, which I personnally find a lot more shocking than the other one: after all, I [u]will</u> be using the rental cars facilities, when I fail to see why landing in PHX makes me accountable for the new stadium. Oh well...

Blott: We did check with USCarhire first when we decided to go, but they only work with Dollar in PHX, which is fine, but won't let you pick your car. At least that's what they said when one of my friends in Phoenix asked them.

Not if you want to rent with Alamo at PHX though.[/quote]But it does include surcharges.[/quote]I don't know for sure but I rather doubt it does although I'd be very happy to hear to the contrary.

I'd be interested to hear on that point from somebody who has actually rented from PHX airport through US Car Hire because my understanding is that the airport surcharge I'm referring to is similar to that levied at MCO (and not included) but very much higher. I know a number of people who have been caught by it (including me!).

The surcharge was introduced when all the rental firms moved into a purpose built facility a mile or so from the airport. It's quite an impressive set up with all the firms using a joint shuttle service. Of course, it all had to be paid for and that is done through the charge I'm referring to.

[/quote]