Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lead driver stupid question (sorry)

Florida Savvy

lead driver stupid question (sorry)

hi all,

sorry, i have some very silly questions, i tried to ask via a different route and i dont think the person replying understood my problem! (im not good at explaining)

my husband, was insolvent 2 years ago, so therefore can not hold any credit, debit cards or cash cards of any type, he has a very basic account where his wages can be paid, but NOTHING else at all. (and i imangine this will not change before our holiday)

i was not insolvent and hold a credit card, and debit card, nd full account abilities but i only hold a provisional licence to ride my motorbike, and do not hold a car licence. (and will not be able to take my car test)

here is the stupid question.. when trying to hire a car, for the credit card swipe at the airport, can i be "lead driver" to be able to use my cards for the swipe only? im suspecting the answer is NO, because i do not hold a full licence.

does anyone have any ideas how we can get around this at all? i know the "gold option with dollar" is usually the way to go, but i saw that on another post, dollar are now swiping on gold option, and also there are no gaurentees of what will happen in between now and aug 2011 when we go, ref rules change.

im really stumped here.

also another quick question, the person paying for the hire itself, can that be another 3rd party (my mum) even though she is not coming on the holiday.

are the pre pay debit cards no good? i read some posts saying no, some saying yes! im looking in to a prepaid card in his name to get around the problem (which has no credit checks) the ones i am looking at seem to be either mastercard or visa rather then solo or electron.

as long as we load it with $600 dollars worth, do they accept this as a swipe card?

kerry

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    Kerry

Is it just you and your husband going on this holiday, or are there any other adults going.
    As fas as I am aware the lead driver needs to have the credit card and I'm sure you cant be put down as a driver with only a provisional license.
    I cant see there bing a problem with your Mum paying for the car hire, its as you say the problem will be the swipe at the airport.
    I'm sure Roger will come along shortly and try his best to help you out.
    Christine

Florida Savvy
    hi Christine,
    no its just me and simon, its a VERY delayed honeymoon, got married 5 years ago!

thanks for replying!
    Kerry

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    Could you not get a 2nd credit card for you husband on your account, then he could pay with this.
    Lyn

Florida Savvy
    hi Lyn,
    my credit card is actually a second card on my mums account, and she wouldnt trust his spending habits to give him his own card... complicated i know! lol! but it was a great idea if we had been a "normal" family! basically, my mum controlls all our money and bills for now, and we pay her directly out our wages. sadly in the past we racked up a lot of debt between us and we are still learning to control our spending compulses.

kerry

YOu are going to have to find another way- putting down a cash deposit may be the answer.

Florida Savvy
    Hi,

I would ask for a second credit card on your account, or at least try it. How about making yours a joint credit card, have you looked into that??
    Karen

Florida Savvy
    hi Karen
    the credit card in my name is on my mums account, i dont have an actual account of my own for a credit card.

Kerry

I may be talking rubbish here, but if you are married, then it is likely your credit card will carry the same (sur)name as the lead driver (hubby) I don't think we have ever worried about whos actual card we have handed over when my husband and I have travelled together. Normally I am the one holding all the paperwork and cards and unless I am staying longer, he would be the lead driver. Never really ever occured to me [msnembarrased]
    Shirley

Florida Chatterbox
    We are here in Florida at the moment. My husband has no credit or debit cards. I booked our car with Alamo through this site on my credit card a couple of weeks before we left the UK. I put the booking in my husbands name as the lead driver. When I got the voucher the details said that a credit card in the name of the lead driver will need to be shown at the rental desk. I went into panic mode and e-mailed them back and explained - got no reply - was very nervous at rental desk that there would be a problem but they were not interested.

Trina

www.villasflorida.com/florida-vacation-rental-3180.aspx