Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trainer Killed At Sea World

Florida Savvy

Trainer Killed At Sea World

Central Florida News 13 is reporting breaking news this evening:

"According to a witness, one of the trainers got pulled into the Shamu tank in Shamu Stadium and was killed. It happened during a Dine With Shamu event.

Orange County EMT officials were called out to SeaWorld after it was reported a woman was not breathing. Around 2:30 p.m. News 13 received confirmation from Orange County Fire Rescue that it was a fatality.

The dolphin and whale shows for the rest of the day have been cancelled. But SeaWorld remains open.

SeaWorld and Orange County officials will hold a press conference at 4:30 p.m. Watch it LIVE on News 13."

For any of you currently in Orlando, CFNews 13 would like to know:
    "Were you at SeaWorld during today's accident? Share your story and photos so we can share it with the world". No thanks!!

Sandra

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    I arrived at Sea World after the accident, we were told there had been a terrible accident but not given any further details other than to watch the news.

Tilly the whale involved is the largest killer whale in any Sea World. The trainers do not go in the water with him because of his size.

They are doing maintenance work on one of the pools at the moment and I believe that this may have upset a number of the whales.

We have been to Sea World at least 8 times in the last 4 weeks and they hadn't used Tilly in any of the shows. We were told this was because of the maintenance work it was too difficult to get him to the front pool for the shows.

It is a terrible thing to have happened.

The news reports seem to have conflicting stories, perhaps the full true story will come out in time.
    Lyn

Florida Chatterbox DisneyPrincess's Avatar
    Apparently the whale in question also killed a trainer in Canada in the 90's.

Its very sad indeed.

Super Moderator
    He is not used in shows with trainers in the pools because of his size and strength but is used as the whale who splashes the front rows of seating. He is also involved in the death of the man who stayed behind after closing time and got into his tank. In that case you cannot really blame the whale.

This whale has been in captivity since he was 2 years old and it would not be possible to release him into the wild so am not sure but have a couple of ideas as to what will happen to him.

This is such very sad news. Unfortunately they are called killer whales for a reason. These animals are portrayed as gentle giants and the the whales at Seaworld are very well trained but it is their nature to hunt and kill in the wild and no amount of training can take that instinct away. Such a shame.

Just seen on the news that Tilly was involved in two other deaths in the 1990s, one was a trainer and the other was a man who jumped into his pool, also, all the whales were being uncooperative and "acting up" on Wednesday, maybe it was an accident waiting to happen.
    Wendy

Very sad indeed and as everyone has said you can't blame the animal. Working with animals of any kind always has a risk in different degrees.
    I was so looking forward to Seaworld but I feel will be a bit sad going now.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Very sad news indeed. I know some people's opinions are that they shouldn't be in captivity but remain in the wild, but in the wild they are hunted until exhausted for their meat and are at other risks or cruelty. Sea World take great care of their animals.
    Jan&Steve

It make make me feel quite sick to think of that lady and my heart goes out to all concerned. Seaworld is the top of my list but as previously said we should never under estimate any wild animal. A very sad time for all!

Elaine

Gold 5 Star Member
    Keeping killer whales in captivity is right up there with lion taming and elephants riding bicycles - a throwback to Victorian tastes.

I really hate the hypocrisy of Sea World playing the 'helping the environment' card run a circus! Anyone who has seen the stressed polar bears in their pen will know what I mean.