Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trainer Killed At Sea World

What a Sad incident, Our thoughts and prayers to the families
    Randy Johnston

Florida Expert gail and david roberts's Avatar
    Shocking News , so sad
    Gail

Super Moderator
    Heard this morning that Seaworld have made the right decision and are keeping Tilly at Orlando. They have the largest tank so short of shipping him overseas to an aquarium with a large enough tank he would have been punished if transported to another Seaworld park. Please consider the alternative would be to put him down as it would not be possible to release him into the wild.

Florida Chatterbox
    When Keiko, a previous captive whale released some years ago, was released to the wild he lived only several years and the conclusion was that it was because he was alone.
    So another option which is being discussed is that Tilicum be released into the wild but as part of a group of whales that he knows and is part of.
    Its an interesting concept and one which is worth exploring.

I have never believed keeping marine mammals in captivity is a good idea.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by anorak
    So another option which is being discussed is that Tilicum be released into the wild but as part of a group of whales that he knows and is part of.
    Its an interesting concept and one which is worth exploring.
    [/quote]
    But in reality that means the whales at Seaworld. I can't see them letting all their whales go free, just to rehabilitise Tilicum. So I suspect he'll be 'retired' and then eventually be moved to another facility. In human terms, he is institutionalised now and unable to rejoin normal society.

Like many here I don't agree with keeping such animals in captivity. No matter how large an aquarium you provide, for an animal used to roaming the open sea it's like keeping them in a bathtub. Likewise with zoos. But also like many here, I've visited Seaworld and the like, so I've contributed to this situation as much as anyone.

Such facilities these days are much better than the Victorian ones mentioned...there's no doubt that these days many of them contribute to breeding programs and have advanced our knowledge of such creatures. It doesn't excuse keeping them in such places, but it does go someway towards justifying it. Unfortunately places like Seaworld couldn't exist without the income from visitors, so it's a difficult choice.
    Keith

Its just a real shame they can't house them in more spacious enclosures- really why can't this be possible?

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lynnroy
    Its just a real shame they can't house them in more spacious enclosures- really why can't this be possible?[/quote]On the news they showed an arial view of the whale enclosures and they were tiny compared to the size of the animals.

We went to Animal Kingdom in 2003 and did the train journey round the park and we stopped just outside the elephant pens and there were two elephants inside rocking from side to side and hitting themselves on the bullbars. It was quite distressing to see, it ruined the day for us and we haven't been back since.

WDW and Seaworld pull the "conservation and breeding programmes" card out quite a lot and I am sure they do a lot of good, but they tug on the heart strings and we the consumer fall for it every time.

Seaworld is one of our favourite parks along with Busch Gardens and I just hope they can learn from what has happened this week and maybe put into effect the building of bigger enclosures and reviewing the way the animals are handled.
    Wendy

Super Moderator
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:WDW and Seaworld pull the "conservation and breeding programmes" card out quite a lot and I am sure they do a lot of good, but they tug on the heart strings and we the consumer fall for it every time.
    [/quote]

While Andrew was at University of Miami he was part of the rescue squad for stranded and ill marine animals and Seaworld were always willing to help out and they do help rescue, treat and release a lot of animals but they do not shout about it.

Tilikum, the whale involved in this incident, was a “stud,” used in Sea World’s breeding program since 1992. He has sired at least 17 calves, these calves can then be released or used instead of capturing whales from the wild.

Tilikum was a wild whale that was caught off Iceland.

Dave
    Dave Lewis

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    When the news came out a few days ago, my son, now 12 saw it and said "Oh Mum, they are going to have to shut Seaworld down".

I said this would not happen - and believe it. This is his favourite park.

For those of you thet have seen the belive show, He was chosen to be the child that feeds Shamu, about 2.5 years ago when this new show came out. It was a wonderful experience for him and one the whole family would never forget.

However he has been able to understand what happened was a tragedy but a risk you take. Infact he did mentioned that surely you must sign a waiver if you work with these animals. Now if an autistic boy of 12 can understand this why are the press and someothers making such a mountain out of it.
    Christine