Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: British Airways - June 2010

Florida Junior

British Airways - June 2010

Flying to Orlando in June (1 of the weeks in the half-term) v.v. worried that they will come out on strike for the half-term.
    Has anyone else had problems like strike action when flying to Orlando..? I don't fancy paying out another £1700 odd for Virgin seats just to make sure we get there... If they were to go on strike and i couldn't fly, would they re-imburse me the villa, tkts etc etc or just the flight.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by shakinsteve
    Flying to Orlando in June (1 of the weeks in the half-term) v.v. worried that they will come out on strike for the half-term.
    Has anyone else had problems like strike action when flying to Orlando..? I don't fancy paying out another £1700 odd for Virgin seats just to make sure we get there... If they were to go on strike and i couldn't fly, would they re-imburse me the villa, tkts etc etc or just the flight.
    [/quote]
    BA would only reimburse the cost of the flights, as that's the only thing you have booked with them. It's not their problem (so they would argue) that you booked other stuff that relied upon you being in a certain place at a certain time.

According to the BA website
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:If strike dates are announced we plan to continue operating some of our flights. We will put contingency plans in place and communicate them as soon as possible.

You will be able to rebook, free of charge and subject to availability, onto other British Airways flights outside of the strike period for up to 355 days from the original date of travel.

Refunds will only be available if flights are actually cancelled or if the original booking conditions allow.

In the event that cancellations are made due to strike action
    You will be able to:

•Rebook onto another British Airways flight to the same destination within 355 days of the original date of travel
    •Rebook onto another British Airways flight to/from the nearest alternative airport (for example, if booked to/from Boston you could rebook to/from Philadelphia or New York)
    •Cancel your booking and get a refund.
    All rebooking options will be subject to availability.

More detailed information about rebooking options, including specific dates covered by these guidelines will be made available if a strike is announced.

Normal Conditions of Carriage will apply for any flights that are cancelled outside of the strike period.

British Airways Executive Club members will continue to earn Tier Points and BA Miles for flights cancelled due to any strike action.
    [/quote]

Generally BA (and other carriers) will cancel short-haul before they cancel long haul, but it's always a risk that the strike will be so extensive that BA won't be able to operate any flights. Unfortunately I don't think anyone could predict the impact.
    Keith

Florida Junior
    many thanks for the info. much appreciated..

They fly 777s into Orlando and as far as I am aware this is one of the fleets that will still fly - with pilots acting as cabin crew.
    Lynne

It's not just pilots but check in staff too - one of my friends works for BA at Gatwick on check in and she and all her colleagues were offered the chance to train for cabin crew to cover strike action, so she's training now!
    Caroline & Dave

Florida Junior
    Thanks for all the info, more the better please...as everything is done and I JUST HOPE that the flight goes ahead...

My son is a BA pilot on the 747s and he trained a few weeks ago - will be known as a scab for life - but I am proud of him
    Lynne

Gold 5 Star Member
    So you should be Lynne!
    Christine

I agree, they are the best paid staff in the airline business. What a lot of idiots they must be, if they put the airline out of business they will all be out of a job and what other airline would employ them?

Andrena

Gold 5 Star Member
    I personally think the unions are putting alot of pressure on the cabin crew to strike. I think quite a few would like to work but dont want to become Scabs for working through the strike.
    I would check with your travel insurance to see what they will cover should the strike take place.
    Neil & Cathy

http://www.orlandovillas.com/villas/1401.aspx