Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Mobility scooters at the parks

Florida Newbie

Mobility scooters at the parks

Hi - I was wondering what provision there is for mobility scooters in the various theme parks? My wife broke her leg badly a few months ago - although mainly off crutches now, she is still limping quite badly. We are coming over in 6 - 7 weeks and I am concerned that she will struggle to manage all the walking required to take three kids round the various parks[msneek].

Does anyone know which parks might provide scooters in this circumstance - and what that might cost? We haven't worked out our itinerary yet, but the shortlist includes all four Disney parks, Sea World, Universal Studios/Island of Adventure, and probably one or more of the water parks - so any mobility-aid info anyone has for these parks would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Roland

Gold 5 Star Member
    Most of the theme parks provide electric scooters (or ECVs as they call them). In most cases, you can't book them in advance so it's important that you arrive at the parks as soon as they open to give you the best chance of getting one because, as you can imagine, there's not an endless supply.

If you happen to miss out on an electric scooter, the parks also have manual wheelchairs.

Last time we paid $45 amd $35 was the fee so we received $10 back.

Hope you have a great time and your wife's leg will be better soon.
    blott

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    I take it you can't park hop if you need a mobility scooter?
    Lyn

Gold 5 Star Member
    Don't think you can 'hop' with a scooter as each park has its own supply and there would be the problem of getting from one park to the other and also returning to the original park at the end of the day.

You can rent one which can be delivered to your accommodation and picked up at the end of your stay but you would need a vehicle you would be able to get these into. Try www.randysmobility.com which has been highly praised by about four lots of my guests.
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    I personally cannot believe how expensive these things are to hire. $45 per day, you could almost rent a car from the above link for that amount. People are always going to need these so perhaps John and Roger should start to rent these out.
    Neil & Cathy

http://www.orlandovillas.com/villas/1401.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pieman790
    I personally cannot believe how expensive these things are to hire. $45 per day, you could almost rent a car from the above link for that amount. People are always going to need these so perhaps John and Roger should start to rent these out.[/quote]I'm sure we all wish they were cheaper but they're not $45 but $35 - the other $10 is a security deposit.
    blott

Florida Newbie
    Blott, thanks for the information, especially the link. It is probably sensible to rent an ECV for the trip - we have booked a 7-seater minivan for 2 adults and 3 kids, so should have enough room.

I just looked up on the official Disney site - ECV rental is $50 per day + $20 deposit! Pieman790 is right, that has to be pretty close to a compact or intermediate car rental[msnoo] - must be an opportunity there for unofficial sources take advantage of Disney's greed and plug a market gap...[msncool]
    Roland

Gold 5 Star Member
    Crumbs, that went up pretty quick then! Unfortunately, they're really in demand so I guess any price the parks asked for them would be paid for the convenience.

Glad the link helped - it'll certainly save some money having one all the time as you can also use it in supermarkets, etc where there's often a long wait for one and there's no chance of missing out on one in the parks.
    blott