Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virgin Seat Allocation

All airlines start to build their seatmaps about a week out from the departure date, so in that respect 100% of seats are pre-allocated. The check-in process (whether it be online or at the desk) is merely to confirm this pre-allocation. If the customer does not object, the previously allocated seats are not changed. If the customer does object, the check-in process will attempt to satisfy them. This is more easily done at the desk because the agent has the ability to move other passengers to make room, which the online check-in process does not.

Access to the internet isn't really an issue, then, because the airline already has pretty much all the info it needs. All airlines build their seatmaps based on various rules. These vary from company to company of course, but almost all will take into account things like seat preferences of frequent travellers, disabled/restrictive movement passengers, family groups (which they infer from common surnames and single booking codes), younger passengers seated next to responsible adults travelling in the same group, etc. These programs are quite sophisicated and most passengers will not object to the seat they have been allocated. Some will however, for various reasons, and these will (if possible) be changed at check-in. But the airlines are under no obligation (other than minor with responsible adult) to guarantee you any kind of seating arrangement.

In many respects building a decent seatmap is easier for Virgin than it is for other carriers. Virgin is primarily a non-business carrier, which means most of its aircraft (especially on routes like London-Orlando) will have been sold out many months before, so they have all the info they need. Airlines which are primarily business airlines, and routes like London-Washington or Lond-New York, face the prospect of a businessman buying a last-minute ticket the day before the flight who then needs to be accommodated. Generally Virgin don't get that kind of last-minute passenger.

The concept of an airline simply refusing to allocate 40% of the seats on an aircraft until check-in (ie 2-3 hours before take-off) therefore just doesn't make sense. There's absolutely no reason for them to do that, and lots of reasons for them not to do it...they don't want to be shuffling almost half the aircraft around in the last few hours before take-off. Even for today's powerful and sophisticated systems, re-accommodation is an extremely complex process, and one to be avoided if at all possible (generally only done if an aircraft fails and passengers need to be moved to another aircraft with a different seat arrangement).

Virgin (and others I am sure) might well tell you that they hold back seats for family groups, because that makes them sound like a family-frindly airline and especially on the Orlando route that's what they are trying to project. But in pure business operational terms I doubt very very much whether that's true. Their check-in staff might well be more amendable to trying to move you around if you want to sit together as a family, but that's all.

However I am sure the OP has nothing to worry about, and will end up sitting with the rest of her group, so just enjoy the build-up to the holiday and forget about it :-)
    Keith

I also am not sure about children must be sat with a parent. I have heard many cases where children have been separated from parents at check-in and it is only when they get on the plane that the staff will try and rearrange the seating, but of course that is dependent upon other people being prepared to move.
    Jill and Brian

I would say the best way to gaurantee you get the seats together is to arrive early. This way if they do allocate seats you will be the first in the queue. I would be very suprised if they split kids away from parents, they are not allowed to do this. For a flight to Orlando I would arrive at least 3 hours before.
    Dominic & Melanie Graham

To be honest I'm not sure about the parent/child thing. Obviously all airlines will do everything they can to avoid having children sitting seperately from their parents (as much for their own cabin crew's benefit as anything), but as to whether it's a legal requirement I'm not sure. It could be in some countries I guess. And of course all carriers allow unaccompanied minors if notified in advance.
    Keith

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ncmurray
    I don't want to hijack this topic, but I have a similar type question. We have booked with Continental for a flight in August, but the operator is Virgin. Every time I log on to my Continental booking and try to book seats, it says that I can't do it. As I don't have a Virgin flight confirmation number, I can't do it on their site either. As we are a party of eight, I think that we will have trouble seating everybody together if we wait until we check in. Does anyone know how I can book these seats?

Thanks

Nuala[/quote]Hi Nuala. My parents just flew with Virgin via a Continental booking. They arranged the seat booking / check-in on the Virgin website using the reference supplied to them with the Continental booking.

Hi Grayster,

After reading your post, I logged onto the Virgin website, and tried to do as you suggested, but it doesn't seem to have my Continental flight number (there are other Continental flight numbers there), so I can't access my booking. It also doesn't recognise my confirmation number. I think I will just have to phone Virgin.

Nuala
    http://www.orlandovillarental.com/florida-vacation-rental-3291.aspx

Florida Junior
    Hi

Just received my e ticket today for my flight in just under five weeks time, I wanted to change my allocated seats for the return journey but there does not seem to be much choice. Will there be more seats released nearer the time or should I choose now from the seats showing available.

It is just my husband and myself and we have a window and middle seat, hubby likes the window but I do not like a middle seat too claustrophobic for me I like the aisle. I am also one of those annoying people who tend to get up and down a number of times during a flight and would not want to disturb the poor passenger who is sitting at the aisle seat, I think we would be much better taking two from the middle row of four.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I also note that we are being told in the documentation that we need to reconfirm our flights 72 hours prior to both legs, I have never done this before surely if you check in on line at this end that should be enough and who do you contact at the other end?

I also see that we are advised to arrive at the airport 4 hours prior to the flight, is this necessary if we have checked in on line?

Sorry for rambling on.
    Hazel

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by hazelk
    Hi

Just received my e ticket today for my flight in just under five weeks time, I wanted to change my allocated seats for the return journey but there does not seem to be much choice. Will there be more seats released nearer the time or should I choose now from the seats showing available.

It is just my husband and myself and we have a window and middle seat, hubby likes the window but I do not like a middle seat too claustrophobic for me I like the aisle. I am also one of those annoying people who tend to get up and down a number of times during a flight and would not want to disturb the poor passenger who is sitting at the aisle seat, I think we would be much better taking two from the middle row of four.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I also note that we are being told in the documentation that we need to reconfirm our flights 72 hours prior to both legs, I have never done this before surely if you check in on line at this end that should be enough and who do you contact at the other end?

I also see that we are advised to arrive at the airport 4 hours prior to the flight, is this necessary if we have checked in on line?

Sorry for rambling on.
    [/quote]
    I must admit I'm not over-familiar with the Virgin system, but is there anything to stop you picking some seats now and changing them later if better ones become available?

Regarding reconfirming...forget it, there's absolutely no need.

4 hours, again, I would not bother. I very rarely turn up more than 2 hours for transatlantic flights and 1 hour for European.
    Keith

Gold 5 Star Member
    Nothing more annoying than following the advice to arrive 4 hours before the flight and then finding that check-in isn't even open then. Completely unnecessary in my humble opinion.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Virgin started the boarding process 2 hours before the flight this week to allow for extra bag checks.
    We have tried to get window and aisle before and the system wouldnt let us, told us we had to have 2 next to each other.
    I would choose fro the best avaialbe showing and then check every now and again and closer to the flight.
    When we came this week, we had booked flights last June using miles so had booked 2 seats in hubbys name for us and one from his account for my brother, had 3 seats together where we wanted but then at Christmas got an email to say the VS15 we were booked on had been cancelled and we were rebooked on VS27, when we rechecked booking last week we found that they had split us up as they obviously didnt know we were travelling together but when we checkin online the day before travelling found 3 together in a place where we wanted so got those ok.
    Babblin Boo