Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: relocating to florida

Florida Newbie

relocating to florida

hi everyone,
    i am interested in relocating to florida. i have read some terrible stories on the forum. if my husband and i are granted a visa, which will be through a relative of his sending an "invitation" letter, is there any positive feedback to inspire confidence in our decision. i am a singer and would be looking for work.

health ins seems to be a major topic. what can you expect to pay on house ins? car ins? is it true that utility bills are far more expensive than in the uk? also food? what is considered to be an average salary for an unskilled worker? we can afford to buy a property but what can we expect to pay in legal fees?

Hello,
    sorry to say but if your are trying to go as unskilled workers your chances are zero unless you try and set up a business employing locals. Gone are the days of family sponsorship, this is near impossible even for siblings.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caramel
    hi everyone,
    i am interested in relocating to florida. i have read some terrible stories on the forum. if my husband and i are granted a visa, which will be through a relative of his sending an "invitation" letter, is there any positive feedback to inspire confidence in our decision. i am a singer and would be looking for work.

health ins seems to be a major topic. what can you expect to pay on house ins? car ins? is it true that utility bills are far more expensive than in the uk? also food? what is considered to be an average salary for an unskilled worker? we can afford to buy a property but what can we expect to pay in legal fees?
    [/quote]

Florida Newbie
    thank you for your reply. is this because of tightening immigration rules?<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
    Hello,
    sorry to say but if your are trying to go as unskilled workers your chances are zero unless you try and set up a business employing locals. Gone are the days of family sponsorship, this is near impossible even for siblings.

hi everyone,

[/quote]
    [/quote]

No it has been like that for a long time. It is because the UK sends over one of the largest amount of immigrants, it is also the reason why we do not qualify for the green card lottery. I am no expert so maybe worth asking a decent immigration attorney what the current situation is.

thank you for your reply. is this because of tightening immigration rules?<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
    Hello,

hi everyone,

[/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Florida Newbie
    my husband is turkish and we would be applying from turkey as this is where we live so hopefully we may have a better chance<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
    No it has been like that for a long time. It is because the UK sends over one of the largest amount of immigrants, it is also the reason why we do not qualify for the green card lottery. I am no expert so maybe worth asking a decent immigration attorney what the current situation is.

Hello,

hi everyone,

[/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Florida Chatterbox
    Responding to the questions in the original post :

what can you expect to pay on house ins?
    $1200 a year for a 3 bed not near the ocean

car ins?
    Depending on the age and value of the car and how much liabilty insurance you want to protect your assets, and how much you want if an uninsured motiorist hits you -
    $600 to $2500 a year

is it true that utility bills are far more expensive than in the uk?
    Yes if you live in a City , maybe not so bad if you live in County.

also food?
    very basic food is about the same or a little less, anything fancy is expensive.

what is considered to be an average salary for an unskilled worker?
    $7-$10 an hour - (not really enough to live well on, even with 2 people working)

we can afford to buy a property but what can we expect to pay in legal fees?
    legal fees aren't much, taxes and other fees can be high if you have a mortgage, not much at all if you are a cash buyer, maybe $1000 or $2000 depending on value of house.

Florida Newbie
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by anorak
    Responding to the questions in the original post :

what can you expect to pay on house ins?
    $1200 a year for a 3 bed not near the ocean

car ins?
    Depending on the age and value of the car and how much liabilty insurance you want to protect your assets, and how much you want if an uninsured motiorist hits you -
    $600 to $2500 a year

is it true that utility bills are far more expensive than in the uk?
    Yes if you live in a City , maybe not so bad if you live in County.

also food?
    very basic food is about the same or a little less, anything fancy is expensive.

what is considered to be an average salary for an unskilled worker?
    $7-$10 an hour - (not really enough to live well on, even with 2 people working)

we can afford to buy a property but what can we expect to pay in legal fees?
    legal fees aren't much, taxes and other fees can be high if you have a mortgage, not much at all if you are a cash buyer, maybe $1000 or $2000 depending on value of house.
    [/quote] thank you so much for your time in answering my questions, you have been very helpful.[msnsmile] i have read soooooooo many negative things about florida and i was hoping someone may have something positive to say. we may never be accepted into the us but i want to have done my research first just in case we are accepted.many british people move to a different country without reseaching everything first, i think the sunshine is the stongest pull for them and when they arrive in their chosen country they realise it isn't britain and things aren't done the same and it comes as a shock. if the SUN was shining in britain i would never leave.thanks again for your time.

I don't think it is negativity from people, it is just plain facts that it is extremely difficult to be allowed to live full time in the USA and not just Florida.

There is an Expats Forum that you may like to log onto and you may find some further information that will help you with your research.

Good luck.

Sandra

Administrator
    We moved here almost 3 years ago and love it. Apart from the high cost of living I really can not find anything negative.

We have many friends here that were from the UK (and other countries). They all love it here, and any negative comments are really from those without a visa. They have status allowing them to live here, but if they leave they will not be allowed back in.

Those that we know on Green Cards would not go back (as long as they can afford to live here).

Yep If we had a greencard we would be on the next plane Saying that I would not want move over on an average income.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by roger
    We moved here almost 3 years ago and love it. Apart from the high cost of living I really can not find anything negative.

We have many friends here that were from the UK (and other countries). They all love it here, and any negative comments are really from those without a visa. They have status allowing them to live here, but if they leave they will not be allowed back in.

Those that we know on Green Cards would not go back (as long as they can afford to live here).
    [/quote]