Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: relocating to florida

Florida Newbie
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by roger
    We moved here almost 3 years ago and love it. Apart from the high cost of living I really can not find anything negative.

We have many friends here that were from the UK (and other countries). They all love it here, and any negative comments are really from those without a visa. They have status allowing them to live here, but if they leave they will not be allowed back in.

Those that we know on Green Cards would not go back (as long as they can afford to live here).
    [/quote] thanks for your reply roger. i really don't know what to think as there are so many different opinions and i realise you can never get a true picture until you are actually living in your chosen destination. if we are accepted my husband WILL have a green card, however, he is an unskilled worker which may be a problem, due to salary. i am a professional singer and would earn on the evenings i worked. would you happen to have any knowledge of bars, restaurants, etc who put on live entertainment as you appear to have many friends from different countries. thanks for your time.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I am not sure wht relationship to the relative who may be spnsoring you but looking at this, if it is a brother or sister it is a long way down the list of preferences so there could be a long wait. The sponsor also has to prove they have enough funds to support you if necessary.

Green Card through Relatives
    (Family Based Immigration)
    Immigration through a family member who is a U.S. citizen or a green card holder is one of the most generally accepted ways of obtaining American residence.

Green card can be obtained upon the approval of the immigrant visa or by the adjustment of status (AOS) through an immigration application made inside the United States. It can be obtained through:

green card lottery;
    the sponsorship of a relative who is a U.S. citizen or holds green card;
    the offer of a permanent employment by a U.S. employer (see employment-based immigrant visas);
    the sponsorship of a U.S. religious organization; and
    investing one million dollars or more which creates job opportunities for Americans.
    Green Card from Relatives

Who qualifies for a Green Card through Relatives?

In order to qualify for a green card through relative, you must have a close relative, who must be a U.S. citizen/green card holder. The relatives must prove that they can support you by providing documentation that their income is 125% above the mandated poverty line for their family, including you and all other sponsored family members.

How to apply for immigration through relative?

To apply for a green card under the family-based preference category, first submit a visa petition (Form I-130) to the Immigration and Naturalization Service. Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) is a form that a LPR (Lawful Permanent Resident) or a citizen may file with the USCIS to establish a relationship with an alien relative who wishes to immigrate to the United States. Form I-130 should be filed along with Form G-325A (Biographic Information Immigration Form).

Foreign nationals can immigrate to the U.S. through one of the following family-based preference categories:

First preference: Unmarried sons and daughters over 21 years of age, of US citizens.
    Second preference: Spouses and unmarried sons and daughters of lawful permanent residents.
    Third preference: Married sons and daughters of US citizens.
    Fourth preference: Brothers and sisters of United States citizens.

In order to sponsor a relative, one must meet the following criteria:

Sponsoring person must be a US citizen or a lawful permanent resident of the USA and should be able to submit documentation proving your status.
    If you are a US Citizen, you can file petition for following relatives, as long as you can prove the relationships:

Husband or wife (see green card through marriage)
    Unmarried child under 21 years old;
    Parent, if you are at least 21 years old;
    Unmarried son or daughter over 21 years old;
    Married son or daughter of any age;
    Brother or sister, if you are at least 21 years old;
    Adopted son or daughter (see green card through adoption)
    If you are a green card holder, you may file petition for

Husband or wife; or
    Unmarried child under 21 years of age; or
    Unmarried son or daughter over 21 years of age.
    Lawful permanent residents cannot sponsor their parents, brothers/sisters or married sons/daughters to live permanently in the U.S.

As your husband is Turkish you and he can both apply separately for the Green Card lottery (make sure you use the official site and do not pay anything). Entry is free and as Roger can testify it can be done. Let fate decide and get yourself in the best position to make your decision re finances , jobs etc.

I'm assuming the "invitation" you mention is the I-130 as , as afar as I am aware youu cannot just invite your relatives to join you otherwise there would be an even bigger queue waiting for processing.

What you and anybody else who is looking to live in the US must recognise is that the Immigration policy is based not upon what you want and will gain from your living i
    Babblin Boo

Florida Chatterbox
    Roger - I didn't understand in your post where you mention that your friends situation is:

"They have status allowing them to live here, but if they leave they will not be allowed back in."

What sort of status is it that gives rise to this?

Administrator
    I'm referring to people usually on E2 that are here on that status but have not been to the foreign embassy to actually get the visa in their passport.

Getting E2 status is relatively easy once in the USA. They move here on the B1 visa, then buy a business to transfer to E2. That means they are land-locked as if they leave the USA they can not come back in again. They are however allowed to live in the US for as long as that status is valid (typically 3-5 years then they have to renew it).

There is a huge risk then in getting the E2 visa because they have to go back to the (or often another foreign Embassy) to apply for the visa which is often denied meaning they are stuck outside of the US with a business they have purchased and can no longer operate.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by anorak
    Roger - I didn't understand in your post where you mention that your friends situation is:

"They have status allowing them to live here, but if they leave they will not be allowed back in."

What sort of status is it that gives rise to this?

[/quote]

Florida Newbie
    hi steph,
    thanks for your reply. my husbands sister is a us citizen and a green card holder and has lived in the us for 40yrs. my husband also lived in the us from the age of 11 to 19, and attended school. he was at that time on his mothers visa. she returned to turkey for a holiday and my husband, then aged 19 went along with her. the only reason he is not back in the us now is because on their return to the us the turkish authorities would not issue him with a visa because he hadn't done his national service! so unfortunatly for him he had to remain in turkey while his mother, a green card holder, returned to the states. his sister has since applied for 2 other sisters to live in the us and both are there now and have green cards. we are hoping that because he lived there before this may make his case more favourable?<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
    I am not sure wht relationship to the relative who may be spnsoring you but looking at this, if it is a brother or sister it is a long way down the list of preferences so there could be a long wait. The sponsor also has to prove they have enough funds to support you if necessary.

Green Card through Relatives
    (Family Based Immigration)
    Immigration through a family member who is a U.S. citizen or a green card holder is one of the most generally accepted ways of obtaining American residence.

Green card can be obtained upon the approval of the immigrant visa or by the adjustment of status (AOS) through an immigration application made inside the United States. It can be obtained through:

green card lottery;
    the sponsorship of a relative who is a U.S. citizen or holds green card;
    the offer of a permanent employment by a U.S. employer (see employment-based immigrant visas);
    the sponsorship of a U.S. religious organization; and
    investing one million dollars or more which creates job opportunities for Americans.
    Green Card from Relatives

Who qualifies for a Green Card through Relatives?

In order to qualify for a green card through relative, you must have a close relative, who must be a U.S. citizen/green card holder. The relatives must prove that they can support you by providing documentation that their income is 125% above the mandated poverty line for their family, including you and all other sponsored family members.

How to apply for immigration through relative?

To apply for a green card under the family-based preference category, first submit a visa petition (Form I-130) to the Immigration and Naturalization Service. Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) is a form that a LPR (Lawful Permanent Resident) or a citizen may file with the USCIS to establish a relationship with an alien relative who wishes to immigrate to the United States. Form I-130 should be filed along with Form G-325A (Biographic Information Immigration Form).

Foreign nationals can immigrate to the U.S. through one of the following family-based preference categories:

First preference: Unmarried sons and daughters over 21 years of age, of US citizens.
    Second preference: Spouses and unmarried sons and daughters of lawful permanent residents.
    Third preference: Married sons and daughters of US citizens.
    Fourth preference: Brothers and sisters of United States citizens.

In order to sponsor a relative, one must meet the following criteria:

Sponsoring person must be a US citizen or a lawful permanent resident of the USA and should be able to submit documentation proving your status.
    If you are a US Citizen, you can file petition for following relatives, as long as you can prove the relationships:

Husband or wife (see green card through marriage)
    Unmarried child under 21 years old;
    Parent, if you are at least 21 years old;
    Unmarried son or daughter over 21 years old;
    Married son or daughter of any age;
    Brother or sister, if you are at least 21 years old;
    Adopted son or daughter (see green card through adoption)
    If you are a green card hol

Florida Junior
    If you have family to live with and to assist in supporting you, the move is more likely to be successful. At least you will have something of a safety net during the period of time you are trying to get established. However, Martin makes some good points and you should get professional advice.

Have you spent any time in Florida? If not, before getting too excited, it is worth it to plan a couple of extended stays with your relatives. You need to understand what you are doing and there is no substitute for experience. Spend some time visiting a short list of areas you'd like to live in and visiting possible employers (nightclubs, Disney or Universal in Orlando etc). Make sure that one of the visits is in August so you get a true feel for what the climate during the summer is like (many visa holders are put off by the humidity and heat).

Health insurance is an absolute must. Nothing will destroy your life faster in the US than medical problems without insurance or with inadequate insurance. A dear friend had a relative in hospital in Florida for ten days before she passed away. Nothing heroic done to extend life and the bill still surpassed $120,000.

Florida Chatterbox
    caramel hi, how old were the two sister who moved to the states and consequently got their green cards as I know that is very difficult and the wait time is still long, if you are over 21 years old. This US visa system is a very difficult and complex system.

Florida Savvy
    Just to expand on Steph's comments:

Anyone sponsoring you will need to provide copies of tax returns for the previous five years and sign an affidavit of support for the next ten years, which basically says that you won't be a drain on the social system.

I am married to a US citizen, so was automatically eligible for a residency permit (green card - by the way, they are no longer green). The entire process, from initial application to recieving that all-important plastic card, took two years for us.

Gold 5 Star Member
    With marriage Sarah, am I right in my thinking that you get an inital approval immediately which allows you to work etc and then if you are still married after 2 years you then get it converted to a permanent status?

Caramel

It seems as though it may be possible for you but the all important thing may be how long ago you sister in law sponsered the other 2 sisters as a) the rulings may have changed not so long ago and b) I'm sure the US won't allow her to sponsor an indefinite number of people.
    For example if it was not very long ago and she is still down as the sponsor for one or more of them , especially with jobs and the economy the way they are , they may feel that she would not be able to commit to guaranteeing another person.

I hope all this doesnt sound too negative and as you say as you husband grea up there its not as though youu dont know what the way of life will be like (albeit he was growing up as a child so his parents were obviously responsible for things like healthcare etc.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Savvy
    Steph, I had to apply for everything seperately. I entered as a tourist and then applied for an extension of stay and residency permit. As soon as I had the extension approved, I could then apply for my social security number and a work permit. My 90 days expired before I got my extension approved and I was on tenterhooks expecting immigration to come knocking on the door to deport me. I soon learned how easy it is for immigrants to disappear in the US. There are also plenty of employers who are not bothered about your legal status - but that's another post entirely!