Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas dinner !!

Florida Chatterbox

Christmas dinner !!

Hi, I would some help/advice from any kind people out there. We are going to be in Orlando for our first Christmas this year as our daughter is getting married on the 22nd Decmber[msnsmile2]. We have decided that instead of going out for Christmas dinner, we would like to cook a traditional turkey dinner with all the trimmings. What I need to find out is, would there be large turkeys for sale at Publix or Walmart by the time we get to Orlando? (We hope to arrive on the 19th) Also would things like sausagemeat, paxo stuffing, bisto powder be available? I normally cheat with making yorkies and buy the ready made ones, are they available or will I have to practice making my own[msnembarrased]. I will contact the owner of the villa we have hired to make sure the kitchen has the necessary bakeware etc.
    Margaret

You will be able to get a large turkey at any of the local suoermarkets, they usually have stock throughout the year not just Xmas. You can buy Bisto in the British aisles at the supermarket. Not sure about sausage meat but doubt it and Yorkshire puddings - not sure. We are having YP tonight for dinner with 9 friends. The 'chef' will be making his own YPs but will ask him whether the frozen ones are available. I know he was saying the other day he preferred to make his own so that may be a clue!!

Roast lamb with Yorkshire pudding.....can't wait..only another 4 hours to wait[msnsmile2]

Sandra

We could not find sausage meat last time we tried a traditional Christmas dinner in Florida. The stuffing is not the same as paxo stuffing so probably best to take your own. Plenty of tradtional veggies though - we even found leeks and brussel sprouts. We also managed to take a Christmas pudding in but make sure it is a vegetarian one (no suet) and some M&S mince pies for our MC.

Mo
    Maureen Green

You cannot take food into USA if your read custom card when you filling it in on the palne it tells you no food also they may ask you when you go out of the airport are you carrying any food in your luggage or hand luggage and they can fine you if you are caught bringing it in so be careful
    MAUREEN
    www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks for your replies, I had forgotten we are not allowed to bring food into the country. Will have to practice making those yorkies[msnwink]
    Margaret

Florida Savvy
    I thought you could take certain food items or have the rules changed?
    I am sure someone will clarify.

We have never found sausagemeat either but I buy Publix sausages (and discard the skins) to use as a base for my stuffing. All the ingredients for batter puddings, bread sauce and cranberry sauce are available too if you wish to make these!

Florida Expert
    This is the list of foods allowed, taken off the American Embassy website:- What kind of food products can I bring to the U.S.?
    Food, Plant, and Animal Products
    General List of Approved Products

This list covers products from all areas except Canada, Mexico, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Bamboo - dried poles only
    Beads made of seeds - (but not jequirity beans)
    Breads, cakes, cookies, and other bakery goods
    Candies, confectionery, chocolates
    Cheeses - fully cured hard cheese only
    Coconuts - (but husks or milk must be removed)
    Coffee - roasted beans only
    Dried foods - including polished rice, beans, and tea
    Fish
    Flower bulbs (*)
    Flowers (*)
    Fruits - canned or dried products only
    Herbarium plants - (but not witchweed)
    Herbs - dried, for medicinal use
    Mushrooms
    Nuts - (but not chestnuts or acorns or nuts with outer husks)
    Sauces - canned or processed
    Seaweed
    Seeds - (but not avocado, bamboo, barberry, coconuts, corn, cotton, currant, elm, hibiscus, lentil, mahonia, mango, pearl millet, potato, rice, sorghum, and wheat)
    Shamrocks - without root or soil
    Soup and soup mixes - (but not those containing meat)
    Spices - dried (but not curry leaves)
    Straw animals, hats, baskets, and other souvenirs - (but not items stuffed with straw)
    Vegetables - canned or processed

Dorothy

Super Moderator
    You can take Christmas food into the States eg mincemeat and puddings providing you do not use meat suet and use vegetarian suet instead. When our son was studying at University of Miami he had withdrawal symptons and requested standard English Christmas food be taken out. I sent a list of what I wanted to take with the ingredients listed to the correct US department and got a reply back clearing the items for import so long as they were for our use and not to be sold to third parties. Think Andrew would have lynched us if we had tried to sell his goodies to someone else.

Look at this site for what you can and can not take in

https://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs...php?p_faqid=82

The main things not allowed are meat, fruit, vegtables and certain cheeses mainly for what they might bring into the country. We have regularly taken in tins of shortbreads and chocolates for American friends or our MC without any problem as we do not intend selling them.

Mo
    Maureen Green

I always stuff my suitcase with regional specialties, remaining within the authorized list, and never had a problem either: foie gras, duck confit and other canned goods, wine and spirits, candies, chocolates. Never raised an eyebrow, even in Chicago where they take such a dim view on Foie gras [msnwink].
    I own a farm, so always tick the box on the white (?) form that mentions it along with "are you importing food" (I can't remember the exact phrasing, but it includes a lot of things). I get stopped every single time, they ask me why I ticked that box, I answer it's because I own a farm, they ask if I'm wearing the same shoes, I answer "NO", and that's it, I'm free to go. They never ever looked into my luggage!. Not that I'm carrying anything illegal, but it's funny thay always do that when obviously I never meet the same officer....