Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrible Weather in Orlando

Florida Chatterbox

Terrible Weather in Orlando

Well I suppose everything is relative, there won't be gridlock caused by snow, ice and grit rationing like there is here.

All the same, if you have been looking foward to a holiday in Florida and paid plenty for it, the weather forecast does not make good reading. Maximum temperature is predicted to be in the low 50s for the next ten days or so.

What do you do in Orlando when it is cold?

Put on a sweater or a jacket and go and do everything you would normally do! [msnwink]

We did experience very cold weather a few years ago at Christmas - down to freezing but we visited Disney and just put on extra clothing - we had gloves with us luckily as we were flying in from the UK. We had a great time - we 'hopped' to each of the 4 parks, finished up with the fireworks at Epcot and we did not have time to notice the cold. The sun was shining and we were on the move, it was not humid so very easy to walk round. So it really did not affect us at all.

As for what to do, well there are always the warm shopping Malls, or you could go and see the Manatees - just wrap up warm. Or there are museums, or Disney Quest, or a drive down to the coast.

Villas have heating so that is not an issue. We provide plenty of extra blankets for our guests, too, so really that should not be a problem either. And at least the sun shines more than over here where last night we had really thick ice on the cars - had to chip our way into the car before my husband could go to work- brrrrr!
    ellie

Florida Chatterbox
    Hi Ellie.

It was really a rhetorical question, I know there are lots of things to do in Orlando, even when it is cold.[msnwink]

It's still a real downer to have paid all that money to go somewhere cold, that was my real point. If you knew what the weather was going to be like, you could have gone to EuroDisney for a fraction of the cost.

I remember we were in Orlando in February and the weather was generally great but with one or two really cold days. We felt we could handle that knowing that most days were lovely but I think it would be depressing looking at today's forecast and seeing that you are not going to get any good weather (this is it).

Incidentally, when it was cold we thought 'why don't we go to the theme park today? It's cold so let's take the opportunity to beat the crowd'. On reflection, a little naive. Everyone else in central Florida must have had the same inspired thought and the queues were huge. It was actually quite fun to see everyone wrapped up in fleeces, jeans and gloves having fun at the parks. A little surreal but fun.

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    When you consider that a lot of people in england go to theme parks over here when its only around 50. Just miss out the water rides and I'm sure you'll have a great time. If we didn't goout whenit was below 50 some people would spend most of lives inside in certain countries.
    There's a good bowling alley and Cinema at Eagle ridge mall if you fancy a day indoors
    Christine

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Father
    What do you do in Orlando when it is cold?[/quote]
    Put your sunglasses on, swap your shorts for jeans and do exactly the same as you would do in the summer I guess ...

Relax in the sunshine. Visit a theme park or two. Head for the shopping malls. Watch a movie. Drive to the coast(s). Take a trip to any of the state parks.

Or just make a lovely pot of freshly brewed coffee, grab a good book, point your sun lounger in the direction with the best view and think about whether life can possibly get any better. [msnwink]
    Steve

Gold 5 Star Member
    Seems to be very cold all across the US with some Florida highs below 50 tomorrow. It'll be Global Warming that's causing it.[msnwink]

How about going out of Orlando and staying a night in Miami or the Gulf Coast?

Well, Father, I am glad to see that you are still enjoying yourself, and thank goodness you didn't book Euro Disney with all the Channel Tunnel problems - you might have had to swim there!

I do hope that the sun shines on you in the next few days, and that you continue to enjoy your holiday.

I think the idea of whizzing down to Miami is a great suggestion if you have the time or the energy. It is rarely as cold down there. Its usually warmer on the Gulf Coast, too, so why not pop over to Madeira Beach, and walk around St John's Pass Boardwalk. Its a lovely place to visit with lots of little shops and great fish restaurants serving freshly caught fish.

Have fun![msncool]
    ellie

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Father
    What do you do in Orlando when it is cold?
    [/quote]Well, we are here in Orlando at the moment also. We have an extra layer, can still play golf (without winter spikes!), we've been to a couple of museums, cinema (I can recommend Avatar in 3D), Although it is cold, the sunshine is beautiful, most days have been clear skys. It is nice to read behind glass, just won't get a good tan this trip.

This is the coldest weather for 9 years so it is unfortunate to "suffer this cold" but when we were here last New Year, it was the warmest for 10 years!

I have an email from my friend at home saying he hasn't played golf since before Christmas and doesn't know when he will be able to, this if from Ipswich where they generally receive pretty good weather.
    Regards, Mark

Gold 5 Star Member
    We've had four inches of snow from the week before Christmas in the UK which was also when Eurostar closed down for days on end so anyone heading for Disneyland didn't make it. That snow went for all of two days (out of two weeks) and on Friday night we got another lot of four inches which is still here, large as life and just as deep and cold.

The supermarket van made it through to us this morning (and we hope the ambulance does tomorrow for my mother), thankfully the central heating is still working and all's well with the world IMHO - everything's relative.

And Orlando has that large, round yellow thing up in the sky (the SUN) predicted in the weather forecast for every day this week! [msncool] We normally go to Florida every December and January and I'm quite sure that I know where I'd rather be located...
    blott

Florida Expert
    I'm here now and it is really cold.

Just one point, FL homes are not really designed to be warm in cold weather.

Tiled floors, high ceilings and heat from an AC unit are not going to make it cosy, believe me i know!
    Neil & Kay