Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't eat out, try this...

Don't eat out, try this...

I'm sitting outside with a post meal cigar beside the pool.

Just had a great meal and recommend this to everyone. I bought two huge 3.5lb lobsters (live) from Walmart (difficult to get live lobsters at home).

Steamed them and we (all six of us) gorged on them with toast and melted butter, washed down with mugs of cold pink champagne (Veuve Clicquot, my favourite).

Cannot recommend it highly enough - one of the pleasures of renting a Villa rather than staying in a hotel is the freedom to do this sort of thing.

Go for it - ignore the squeals from the kids, once they get the sweet taste of freshly steamed lobster with butter dripping down their chins the squeamishness disppears.

Doesn't half make a mess, though. Mrs T will be shouting in the morning as she cleans it up!
    Tonish

Gold 5 Star Member
    Sounds great and you're very lucky to have found a house where the owner allows smoking even on the pool deck. A quality cigar is one of life's great (and now almost forbidden) pleasures which I allow myself on just a few occasions a year, tomorrow being 1 of them!

Don't know what your experience has been but whenever I've had lobster in Florida restaurants, no matter how much you ask for it to be done otherwise, they always mercilessly over cook it to a point where you feel like you're eating white rubber.

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    Sounds great and you're very lucky to have found a house where the owner allows smoking even on the pool deck. A quality cigar is one of life's great (and now almost forbidden) pleasures which I allow myself on just a few occasions a year, tomorrow being 1 of them!

Don't know what your experience has been but whenever I've had lobster in Florida restaurants, no matter how much you ask for it to be done otherwise, they always mercilessly over cook it to a point where you feel like you're eating white rubber.

[/quote]Only time i've had it was at Captain Nemo's on the 192 years ago now and it was like eating white rubber so i've never tried it again since.

Send it back! Over cooked lobster is not worth eating.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad

[/quote]

Finish off with this?
    Mulled Jack Daniels. "Good quality apple juice heated with whole star anise, candied ginger, cinnamon sticks, dried figs, all spice berries, cloves, dried cranberries. Heat until you have as much flavour out of the spices/fruit as you want–strain and transfer to a crock pot. Add JD about 1-750 ml. Bottle for 6 litres of juice. Sit in the crock pot on low to keep warm for your guests to enjoy. "
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1338.aspx

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by andrewmckay5
    Finish off with this?
    Mulled Jack Daniels. "Good quality apple juice heated with whole star anise, candied ginger, cinnamon sticks, dried figs, all spice berries, cloves, dried cranberries. Heat until you have as much flavour out of the spices/fruit as you want–strain and transfer to a crock pot. Add JD about 1-750 ml. Bottle for 6 litres of juice. Sit in the crock pot on low to keep warm for your guests to enjoy. "
    [/quote]
    Liked the last sentence of you sitting in the crock pot.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tonish
    I'm sitting outside with a post meal cigar beside the pool.

Just had a great meal and recommend this to everyone. I bought two huge 3.5lb lobsters (live) from Walmart (difficult to get live lobsters at home).

Steamed them and we (all six of us) gorged on them with toast and melted butter, washed down with mugs of cold pink champagne (Veuve Clicquot, my favourite).

Cannot recommend it highly enough - one of the pleasures of renting a Villa rather than staying in a hotel is the freedom to do this sort of thing.

Go for it - ignore the squeals from the kids, once they get the sweet taste of freshly steamed lobster with butter dripping down their chins the squeamishness disppears.

Doesn't half make a mess, though. Mrs T will be shouting in the morning as she cleans it up!
    [/quote]

That sounds fab Tonish - can I ask how long you steam the lobster for? - we love lobster but I've never cooked it as i'm scared of spoiling it by either under or over cooking it[msnscared]

Hubby loves an occasional cigar and always has a trip to the Sosa shop at Downtown Disney.
    Caroline & Dave

[msnsmile2] Very accurate description of me after 90 minutes of soccer.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by trupial
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by andrewmckay5
    Finish off with this?
    [/quote]
    Liked the last sentence of you sitting in the crock pot.
    [/quote]
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1338.aspx

We had bbq'd lobster tails and shrimp on the beach at Anna Maria Island on Christmas Day. Everyone we met very friendly, and as well as pelicans dive-bombing the water for food saw some dolphins just pop their heads and fins above the water. Doesn't get much better [clap]. Although we took our own portable bbq there were the park grills that could easily be used - if a tad rusty! Caroline both the lobster and shrimp cooked v quickly on the barbie, and both tasted delicious.
    Fiona

Carline depends how you like them but I find I like mine slightly under done. Typical 1.5lb lobsters would take 10 mins and add 4 mins per pound over that.
    Use well salted water and half fill a large pot (don't fill right up as you don't want the lobster rolling around). Live lobsters only, frozen are a complete waste of money.
    Clarify but for dipping in. Yummy.
    If doing on grill, use tails only and cook very quick at very high heat.