Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: buying electronics in Florida

Keith, that's quite interesting about the keyboards. We have a Dutch one, and still it looks different from the one shown on te Wikipedia page.

I was even more interested in reading about "hacking" a dvd player so it'll play US dvds. Any idea where I can find out how to do that? Or how I can see what region mine plays?
    Thanks, Renee

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by letournerie
    Keith, that's quite interesting about the keyboards. We have a Dutch one, and still it looks different from the one shown on te Wikipedia page.

I was even more interested in reading about "hacking" a dvd player so it'll play US dvds. Any idea where I can find out how to do that? Or how I can see what region mine plays?
    Thanks, Renee
    [/quote]
    Sorry I have never used a Dutch keyboard so I will take your word for it! I admit I was a bit surprised when you said it was a QWERTY keyboard because I guess I just assumed it was similar to German (apologies to all my Dutch friends for that insult )

For DVD hacks via the remote control take a look at http://www.dvdhacks.co.uk/ amongst others...Google is your friend, so search for "DVD remote hacks".

If you need a hardware hack then you are better offer finding someone in Holland I think...perhaps do a search for something like "DVD region code change" or the Dutch equivalent.

The same sources will most likely provide new players (or hack yours) for Blu-ray as well these days...certainly these are available in UK and Germany.

Keith

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mfairhurst
    We have a Sensco coffee maker in our villa does anyone know if we brought it back with us can you get a plug to change voltage into the UK one ?
    MAUREEN
    www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx[/quote]My guess would be that it would be unlikely to get something cheap that would drop the voltage and produce enough power for a heating element - they take a bit more ooomph than a laptop! (or an illuminated Tinkerbell!!)

I'd say "no" to that question. Sorry MAUREEN.<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    When you say "in Europe" Renee I'm far from sure that the answers you've been given related to UK use are relevant to "Europe" as a whole. [/quote]My own reply was carefully considered, and did indeed refer to all of Europe![msnwink]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    it is definitely worth checking out whether the savings (if there are any) are worthwhile. It's by no means always the case.[/quote]I agree entirely, I've given up looking at electronics in the USA, there is so little difference in price it isn't worth risking warranty problems/import duty possibilities. I do buy the occasional DVD, probably only to justify buying multi-region DVD players!!
    Dave.

Gold 5 Star Member
    We have purchased DS's in the US and use the shaver adapter for charging and the Ipod touch and just purchased another adapter. We have never had any problems. Wii games will only work on US machines though
    Jan&Steve

Notre fils a acheté une DS (d'occasion, comme neuve, $80) aux USA et on a acheté un adaptateur dans une magasin de jeux vidéos ici (autour de 10€).
    Même chose pour l'IPod, on a acheté un chargeur secteur pour s'en servir partout.
    Les jeux DS US fonctionnent, mais pas les Wii.
    Pour l'électroménager, attention à la puissance, même avec un adaptateur ça peut poser des problèmes. Une de mes amies a grillé son lisseur cheveux en s'en servant chez nous avec un adaptateur, après que le compteur ait sauté trois ou quatre fois! Mais je ne suis pas très sûre d'avoir compris pourquoi: l'électricité et moi...
    Je n'ai jamais pu trouver une solution pour lire un DVD US ici, donc si vous trouvez, je suis preneuse!

Gold 5 Star Member
    PS3 games work fine here in the UK, DS games also work in UK and so do DSI/DS machines and you only need to purchase a UK charger from somewhere like game for £5.

American Xbox360 and Wii games will not work on UK games machines.

We brought a PS3 console back from the US and that works fine here. (US Region 1 DVD or Region A blu-rays will work only work on a US PS3 machines and to date there is no way of making a US PS3 multi region)

Ipods work fine and have a world wide warranty so you can return to apple here in the UK. Cathy got a brand new ipod from Apple in the Meadowhall shopping centre when her Ipod Touch packed in.

Cameras work here as well.

Laptop computers will normally work in the UK.

Watch out for Duty limits when purchasing any items from the states as there are limits.
    Neil & Cathy

http://www.orlandovillas.com/villas/1401.aspx