Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Car hire in New York

Florida Expert

Car hire in New York

Roger I have been looking at car hire for next summer in New York for our rd trip, we wanted to pick up a 4x4 when we leave New York and take it to Orlando, I know there is a drop off fee, but I am told we can't hire a 4x4 in NY, any suggestions for a way round this, the only thing I have thought of so far is to hire a car and then change in Washington, I know other companies have 4x4 why is this not an option?

Administrator
    This is now possible with Dollar on our site, but note there is a 1-way fee currently of $500+tax payable on collection of the car.

Once you book, Dollar then have to check availability. Of the 3 types of SUV, the Standard SUV is most likely to be available.

Florida Expert
    Thank you

Florida Chatterbox
    I know New York City tends to be an expensive place to rent a car. Might be worth checking whether it would be cheaper or easier to rent the car in New Jersey - you can easily take the train (or a cab) across the river to Newark.

Don't know if it would be an option but a few years ago we caught the train from New York to Washington and it was the most beautiful journey and very comfortable. The train travels along the coast so you see some fabulous scenery which you wouldn't see from the car and you can relax and let someone else 'drive'.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip and post details on this site.

Caroline
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-2026.aspx

Florida Expert
    Yes we had been thinking of hiring in Washington, would this make a cheaper drop of charge Roger, we had thought of taking a basic car from NY to Washington and then picking up our 4x4 there for the mountains trip.

Thanks for the ideas,[msnsmile2] any are welcome

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    I know Roger will be answer your question. but one question that occured to me, is that would it be more expensive doing this, as you will have 2 out of state drop offs.
    CERI

Administrator
    You would probably end up with 2 one way fees of around $300 each, but best case is two at $250 each so no better off.

Florida Newbie
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Dolphins
    Don't know if it would be an option but a few years ago we caught the train from New York to Washington and it was the most beautiful journey and very comfortable. The train travels along the coast so you see some fabulous scenery which you wouldn't see from the car and you can relax and let someone else 'drive'.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip and post details on this site.

Caroline[/quote]I'd second that - I did the same journey by Greyhound a while back. Loads of fun.