Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Golf Course?

Florida Chatterbox Anthony Brook's Avatar
    Only 12 weeks to our golf trip and the courses I thought we had settled on has been affected badly due to over seeding. Both Disney Palm & Magnolia are closed, Celebration is cart path only (done that in Spain & Portugal and not good).

Have asked Tee Times USA for quotes as you can't get rates this far ahead and they have come up with the following including tax;

Southern Dunes $83.46 - Last time I played this in November it was $40 + tax
    Diamondback $39.00 - The one is in to keep the price down. I quite like it but for a one off trip not sure it is in the same league as the others
    Harmony $48.75 - I played this and was a bit uninspired. Maybe I need to play it again to appreciate it?
    World Woods (Pine Barrens twice) $69.00 - Apparently offering a free replay so a no brainer to play 36, just wish Rolling Oaks was open.
    Falcons Fire $76.51 - Have seen it but never played it. Looks typically American with no trees and plenty of water? Is it worth the money?
    Reunion (Watson) $121.98 - These Reunion courses don't rank particularly well in Florida best and so not sure we can justify the cost.
    Disney Buena Vista $73.79 - Think we will give this a miss as it would be our third choice Disney course.
    Grand Cypress (North, South, East) $84.50 - Like the look of this and so may be in there ahead of Reunion.

Do you think if I wait closer to the time and book myself individually I will get cheaper rates? We are definitely playing Southern Dunes and World Woods and looking to pay around $350 for these two and three others which leaves us around $200 for three rounds. Any suggestions?

I played at Kissimmee Golf Club and Royal St. Cloud during the past two weeks, these are both good courses and you can get 18 holes/rental clubs for 40-50 dollars. They have Nike/Taylormade or Adams Golf clubs.

Well worth the money, I ended up playing both courses twice.

I've played Southern Dunes before but I can't justify the price they charge compared to St. Cloud or KGC.

Florida Chatterbox
    Celebration Cart path only?! Is that now or proposed for in 12 weeks??

We go in around 12 weeks and i had planned to take a first timer to Celebration one morning but not if it's cart path only! The first time i played Celebration around 5 years ago, that was in October too and they had just hollow tined the entire club house side of the course and sanded the greens. I wasn't happy, especially having paid $109!

Might have to think again.
    Garry Pullan

Hi Garry, All they said was cart path only when we are there due to recent over seeding. We are there Nov7th-14th and looks like it is for the full duration of our trip.

I played Southern Dunes a few weeks ago and worked out at £25 which for a course of that stature and including carts is giving it away. They really jack the price up from the end of October though (don't they all). It was either go earlier and pay more for flights or in November and pay the extra on the golf. Swings and roundabouts.

I am just about settled on Southern Dunes, Harmony, World Woods, Grand Cypress & Falcons Fire unless any of you have any other thoughts.

Tee Times USA sent me a brochure today and then I started looking at Crooked Cat/Panther Lakes instead of Falcons Fire?

Florida Chatterbox
    Royal St Cloud?
    Legends?

I'm going to give Celebration a miss if that's the case as i'd like my friend to have a better experience than that. Diamond Back or Royal St Cloud could be the ones for us.
    Garry Pullan

Never played Royal St.Cloud as I really don't see the point of playing a links style course in Florida. They just don't get it right and can't emulate a true links course as they don't have the grass types. Played the International at Championsgate but wasn't as good as I was expecting. I will play Florida style courses when over there and if I want a true links I will visit one of our own very good ones.

Legends is ok. Some nice scenery and a good stretch of holes on the back 9. Get your mate to World Woods and make a day of it.

Florida Junior
    Play grand pines and book through golfnow

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Play grand pines and book through golfnow
    Anthony, Grande Pines is a great course, played it in May. I'd also agree with booking through Golfnow.com and don't book until the day before you want to play for the best rates.

Grand Cypress is another good course and don't discount Royal St Cloud as it is the American version of links golf !!

If you're looking for another good course near World Woods (still up there as one of my favourites), visit Brooksville Golf Club. Unfortunately, Brooksville was closed in May due to laying new greens but I have a friend who lives near Brooksville and it's his favourite course.
    Regards, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Brook View Post
    I am just about settled on Southern Dunes, Harmony, World Woods, Grand Cypress & Falcons Fire unless any of you have any other thoughts.

Tee Times USA sent me a brochure today and then I started looking at Crooked Cat/Panther Lakes instead of Falcons Fire?
    If you haven't played OCN Crooked Cat or Panther Lakes, definitely play them before playing Falcons. I presume you've already played Falcons?

Harmony, what a course. I'd live there if I could.
    Regards, Mark

No not played Falcons Fire Mark, it was just recommended by Tee Times USA. I have to admit not that bothered for it and haven't spoken to anyone who says it is a must play. Coming out at the most expensive round of the trip. Grande Pines is another Steve Smyers course isn't it?

I don't think I will use Tee Times USA for the trip as they are quoting $83.46 for Southern Dunes and I know we can play at 1pm for $49 plus tax. Also saying Harmony is $48.75 and I have looked on their website and it is $41.71. How do you go about booking with Golf Now? Do you need to register with them?