Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pool heating: gas contra electric

Florida Newbie
    The villa we have stayed in a few times now has an electric heater, the first day we got there 17th October this year the pool seemed cold and didn't really warm up for a few days, the pool man came and turnned the thermostat to Full, as the weather was cold ish it didn't really heat up, but then 2 days of Sun and the pool was unbearably hot, hotter than a bath, when I jumped in I thought i had burnt myself, it took 2 days to cool and it burnt off all the chemicals, when you looked out at night the pool area was just a mist.

It was nice around midnight though to have a sit in the shallow end and relax!

Never had a gas heater so can't comment!

Gold 5 Star Member
    Most electric pool heaters(heat pumps) have a maximum heat output of around 100,000 - 120,000 Btu. The problem with all heat pumps is as the air temperature decreases(and it can be cold in February) their efficiency(COP = Coefficient of Performance) drops off.

Gas heaters can be up to 400,000 Btu - so clearly they will heat a pool much quicker. The downside is that they are more expensive to run than electric.

There is of course nothing to stop anyone have 2 or 3 heaters for a pool; but most domestic pools have just one.

Florida Savvy
    The most important thing is to use a cover if you have one.

We find that if we use the pool cover, we don't need the heating on in shoulder seasons when it is hot by day and cold by night. And when it gets really cold in Jan/Feb, you will find that if you don't use the cover it won't be warm enough for morning swims.

So, it is a pain, but use your pool cover. Better for you as a renter, better for your owners bills so they can keep the price down, and better for the environment too.