Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: ESTA charges

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester

ESTA charges

Just received the following email with regard to the sites that are charging for ESTA applications.

United States "ESTA" - Important Information - ACTION REQUIRED#8207;
    Sent: 01 November 2009 07:03:04

Important Notice to ESTA Applicants:

Have you paid for ESTA? If so, you have been victimized by a fraudulent ESTA. Please review the DHS warning: http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...a_advisory.pdf. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not work with any private websites to help file ESTA applications. ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) is a FREE application and it is available only at the official .GOV website: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov

The following actions are required:

1. Dispute the charge with your bank or credit card company
    2. Apply yourself at the official ESTA website

REFUND: You are entitled to a full refund by contacting your bank or credit card company. You should explain to your credit card company that you are a victim of fraud, as you have paid an impostor government website. If you have paid a fee to submit your ESTA application you are a victim of fraud and possible identity theft, as the individuals who operate the fraudulent ESTA website have your passport information, full name, date of birth, address and full credit card information. There is no way of knowing what they will do with this information.

To learn more about this scam, search online for "ESTA Fraud" or "ESTA Scam”. You will find several articles exposing this scam. The BBC made a report recently about fraudulent ESTA websites operating out of Korea and defrauding applicants from all over the world. You can watch the video at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/new...293707&bbcws=1

*** U.S. Consumer Protection Services ***[/font=Arial]
    Lyn

Gold 5 Star Member
    Some friends of mine booked their flights through a travel agent (don't ask me why!) and were charged £90 for ESTA(2 adults plus 4 kids).

Whilst not an 'Imposter Government site', they were unaware that it was a free service, and it is dodgy practice if nothing else!

We've done this topic somewhere before in this forum, and there seems to be a polarisation of opinion as to whether it's fraud or not. There's no doubt it's a dodgy practice, as Robert says. But I think you'd have a had time convincing your credit card company it was fraud - I am sure the companies concerned say they are charging you for the service of helping you apply for ESTA, rather than for the ESTA registration itself.
    Keith

Florida Chatterbox
    We did ours last year for free, direct with their web site.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I suspect if you try and claim it back from a travel agent they will argue that it is their service fee for making your application. I would assume they have used the official site to apply rather than a fraudulent one. It may be that if you could prove they didnt tell you that you could apply yourself and save the charge that you would get it back.
    At least if you have applied through a travel agent i would doubt any of the worries about fraudsters having passport details would apply.
    Babblin Boo