Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying to Gulf Coast Area

Florida Chatterbox

Flying to Gulf Coast Area

Hi

Which would be the best airport to fly into if staying in the Rotunda area and what sort of driving time would we be looking at from the airport?
    Karen

Gold 5 Star Member
    Tampa or Fort Myers. BA fly direct from the UK to Tampa but there aren't any directs to Fort Myers although most of the major US carriers have connecting services there. I much prefer Fort Myers because there's less hassle getting through there and you're on your way up I75 within 30 minutes of landing.

The drive from Fort Myers is about an hour but it's a bit longer from Tampa.

Karen we drove from Tampa when we stayed at Naples. I was pretty exhausted by the time I got there, but we did stop at the outlets on the way [msnembarrased] Rotunda would be an easy drive
    Shirley

Gold 5 Star Member
    The problem is that you arrive in Florida after a long day and almost any distance to drive is tiring, especially if you are unfamiliar with the area(as I assume the OP is)

Given the far greater choice of service to Orlando(and cheaper prices) it might be an idea to stay overnight in a motel and travel next morning. Orlando is 3 to 4 hours, Tampa 1.5 to 2 hours.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Slightly off topic but BA have today started a Premium cabin sale on First/Business. Showing £1100 Gatwick-Tampa in Club to the end of June 2010. Very good fare considering World Traveler Plus is £940.

Florida Expert
    I am an Rotonda owner and use Tampa airport by choice flying from Bristol via Newark.

Tampa is 100 miles/2 hours north of Rotonda, the time is based from the time you leave the car rental depot, NOT from the time the plane lands espcially if you have to do Immigration and Customs at Tampa.

Orlando as 3+ hours driving, 90% of it on Interstate.
    Clare R

Gold 5 Star Member
    As others have said Tampa is the closest international airport and is one hour 30 minutes to Rotonda West from the car rental pick up.
    The BA flight lands at about 5.30pm so depending on the time of year you are travelling the sun sets at 6pm so you would be driving in the dark.

Orlando is 2 hours 30 minutes, from car rental and is a straight run on I75.

Miami is another option, BA/AA land around 1330 and 1400 so day light all the way, takes 3 hours 30 minutes from leaving car rental using I75 (Alligator Alley). Can be done in 2 hours 30 minutes but we know the way and do speed a tad.
    The other option would be to overnight at Miami and take a leisurely drive through the Glades on route 41 Tamiami Trail, very scenic, has pull-ins where you can sometimes see Alligators snoozing below.

Other option fly via Boston, New York, Philadelphia or Washington and take a connecting flight down to Florida.

Lynne

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Other option fly via Boston, New York, Philadelphia or Washington and take a connecting flight down to Florida.[/quote]If you do go indirect there are loads of options,(Atlanta, Chicago an Dallas FW are but three major hubs) and you can go to Fort Myers which, as Katies Grandad said above is easier for Rotunda.

However any indirect flight(I think) will get you to either Fort Myers or Tampa early evening at best.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988If you do go indirect there are loads of options,(Atlanta, Chicago an Dallas FW are but three major hubs) and you can go to Fort Myers which, as Katies Grandad said above is easier for Rotunda.

However any indirect flight(I think) will get you to either Fort Myers or Tampa early evening at best.
    [/quote]

Absolutely right. With an early start from Heathrow, it's just about possible to get to Fort Myers before 5 pm with 1 connection but you won't do that from a regional UK airport. If you fly on a Saturday, American do an early flight Heathrow-Miami arriving around 1230 but the experience of doing immigration and car rental at Miami International in both directions will make you wish you'd gone to Blackpool instead.

It's 'swings and roundabouts' really - I'd fancy my chances getting to Rotunda earlier using Fort Myers than pretty much any flight into Tampa/Miami/Orlando and have a much shorter drive in every instance. If you must have a direct flight though, it won't be for you.

Perhaps we should all do a race?[msnwink]

Florida Expert
    ROTONDA - it is spelt ROTONDA, as owners know.
    Clare R