Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue lights on traffic signals

Florida Chatterbox

Blue lights on traffic signals

I've ran this question across a couple of forums but still don't fully understand what they are / how they work. Maybe Roger or someone else can advise.

I noticed on my recent visit that there were small blue lights above the traffic signals at several junctions.

What are they for ?

Some have said that they red light cameras, some that they only indicate when the light has turned red so police can see if you have passed through one. Also they are an indication to emergency vehicles which way the lights are sitting.

BTW I'm confident that I have not ran any lights so I'm not asking this question because of that. Just curious and would be useful for those about to visit.

Thanks,

Florida Expert
    This is what I have read "they are are aids for police officers in telling if you have run a red light. The lights turn blue as soon as it had turned red and it is visible in any direction they are sitting at. So if a police officer is sitting there waiting for red light runners they can see them coming and going essentially."

Florida Expert
    Clare R

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Clare R
    http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_52135.asp will give you some thoughts.
    [/quote]

I think that link has limited access Clare - I certainly can't see it.

Gold 5 Star Member
    They are to enable law enforcement officers to catch red light jumpers.

Lynne

Gold 5 Star Member
    Blue lights above traffic signals are called "tattletale lights" or "red light confirmation lights." Whenever the traffic signal is red, the blue light is on.

Police previously had to testify that a vehicle was in an intersection when it ran a red light.

Now, officers only have to see the blue light to know the vehicle ran the red signal.

Florida Department of Transportation officials are paying for the lights at intersections on state roads in nine Central Florida counties, reported a representative from the Florida Department of Transportation.

Originally, the DOT put up small white lights at a cost of about $100 each. The DOT is switching to less-expensive blue lights, which are LED (light emitting diodes) that run cooler and need less maintenance.

Running a red light in Florida can bring a fine of $188.50.

Violators also face adding three or four points to their driving record, unless they complete a state-approved driver-safety course.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Chatterbox
    Steph,

Thanks for adding this. It all makes sense.

Florida Savvy
    Thanks for the info, we were confused. We also saw a Silver Alert last night. Its a Amber alert for srs. I think it a great idea.

Florida Savvy
    The blue lights were new to me.The other night we saw a silver alert, as you probably know it is the same as a amber alert but for Sr.s, great idea.

Florida Savvy
    Sorry for a repeated post, a Sr. moment!