Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Tips flying with infants

Florida Newbie

Tips flying with infants

Hi everyone, we are flying to MCO on the 9th with Virgin. We will be travelling with a 5 month old baby. Does anyone have any tips or advice that may be useful? We have pre booked a bassinet but don't quite know how useful this will be, anyone used one before?
    John

Florida Newbie
    hiya,

we travelled with virgin when our daughter was 4 months old. the skycot looks a bit basic but was a godsend - she slept nearly all of the way there & back! the only downside is she had to be removed everytime the seatbelt signs were on.

the only other problem we had was cabin crew heating bottles of milk up to boiling point!!

lynsey

Hi - we first took our youngest on Virgin when she was 6 months old. On the plane it was so easy - we booked a Skycot so she could have her naps and she slept most of the way (although as Lynsey says you do have to get them out if the seatbelt signs are illuminated). The staff on the plane were so helpful and nothing was too much trouble. We checked in the car seat from our travel system and took the buggy bit right to the plane where it was whisked away to the hold, only to re-appear at Orlando!

For milk, I actually took her usual formula powder in one of those three section tubs, pre-measured ready to add to the water which I took in her normal bottles. At security I just had to sip the water to prove it was ok (much better than sipping formula!!). I didn't take the pre made cartons as there was a limit on the size of liquids that you could take through (I think it was around 100mls at the time which is smaller than the cartons) but this was the beginning of 2007 so the regs may have relaxed slightly. You may want to look into that. I just thought that taking the powder through with water was a safer bet coz if I had to discard the water I could always buy it either airside, or get it on the plane.

As far as any other pointers are concerned, I would say just to try to stick as closely as possible to the baby's routine and make sure you have a bottle or a dummy for him to suck on on take off or landing to equalise the pressure in his ears.

Other than that - have a fantastic time!!
    Alison and Danny

The 100ml regulation hasn't changed
    Shirley

Florida Chatterbox
    Jonjo,

Hope you had a great time. If you have any info on your original post as to how you found things with your 5 month old then i would be interested to hear your thoughts.

We went to Florida last year with a 4 month old and flew Virgin. It can't have been that bad as we're doing it again next February with a 10 week old baby (don't ask, there's something in the water in Leeds)!!!

Thanks
    Garry Pullan