Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Urgent advice required on being ripped off

Florida Chatterbox
    I feel for you. In my opinion you need to enjoy your camcorder and try and forget that you have paid over the odds for it, or alternatively go to the police and tell them that you were duped and they have charged you more than agreed. You never know, if the company has been reported a few times then the law may lean your way and hopefully lead to the shop getting closed.

Can you name and shame on here so everyone knows who and where they are??

My choice would be to go to the police if it can be done quickly then forget about it!!
    Garry Pullan

Gold 5 Star Member
    Garry
    I dont think the Police would be interested as they haven't charged more than agreed. However if you can find an internet site showing the retail price and it is less than the $1299 that was quoted, then there may be a case for the equivalent of the trading standards office.

It would be difficult to prove though unless they could get an undercover person in to ask the price of the camcorder and act as an independant witness. The store person is likely to "forget" he told you a price it retailed at.

Unsuspecting tourists get duped all over the world in many ways. What we always do is to do the research before we leave the UK so we know what brand etc. we are looking for and the value of them so we can see if it is really a good price. Sometimes it is and the model is discontinued which can give other problems if repairs are needed.
    Babblin Boo

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    A good idea, but please don't as we don't want to end up in hot water as the site owner if the shop owner concerned reads it [msnsad].

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by gpullan

Can you name and shame on here so everyone knows who and where they are??
    [/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steelo
    ...and thew fact my card ( prepaid thomas cook card) started with a 4 then he could give us extra discount......[/quote]While I stick by my advice that you should try to put it behind you, that part shouts out 'con' to me. Have you thought of asking Thomas Cook whether there is any truth whatsoever in that? I personally highly doubt it.

Florida Chatterbox
    Sounds like no truth at all, never heard of giving discounts due to certain numbers on a credit card??!

Site owners. See definition of the word 'forum'
    a public meeting or assembly for open discussions

Open discussions means being able to openly warn people against potentially ruining a dream holiday.
    Garry Pullan

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    Very good, but we're still not going to put ourselves in a position which leaves us legally liable for anything no matter how noble the intentions.

Please feel free to use email to notify anyone interested on the company name but we don't want it posting on here.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by gpullan

Site owners. See definition of the word 'forum'
    a public meeting or assembly for open discussions

Open discussions means being able to openly warn people against potentially ruining a dream holiday.
    [/quote]

Florida Chatterbox
    I am afraid that it looks to me like only two real choices here:

Choice 1 - put it down to experience, remember that at the point you purchased the camera it was worth $872 dollars to you, enjoy using it and carry on having a fab holiday [msncool]

Choice 2 - put a whole load of your energy and activity into trying to get a solution from, or revenge on the shop owner and let it ruin the rest of your holiday.[msnmad]

Either way, it is likely that you won't get your money back.

When things like this happen to me, I always like to remember that the shop keeper was wrong, but will not be loosing any sleep over it and so I am not going to let it mean that I loose sleep.....don't let him win twice.

Although, if you can find a way to exact a little revenge without too much effort or compromising your own values, it can be fun![msnwink]

Florida Expert
    We had a similar experience on HWY192 when we bought a laptop! We were led to believe that the laptop was brand new but after leaving the shop found in the small print that it was infact refurbished! Went back in the shop and requested a refund but was told we had signed the paperwork and there was nothing they could do. We were also told they would call the police if we continued to make a fuss!
    Left the shop with the laptop and a few freebies to ease the pain slightly[msneek]
    Will stick to good old Walmart in the future[msnwink]
    Denise

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steelo
    ...and thew fact my card ( prepaid thomas cook card) started with a 4 then he could give us extra discount......[/quote]While I stick by my advice that you should try to put it behind you, that part shouts out 'con' to me. Have you thought of asking Thomas Cook whether there is any truth whatsoever in that? I personally highly doubt it.[/quote]Card numbers beginning with a 4 just denotes that it is a Visa card - or a Visa Prepaid in this case from the sounds of things.

5 would be a Mastercard.

3 would be Amex.

Prepaid would, I think, cost less for the merchant to handle.
    Steve

Florida Expert
    friends of ours bought a spare camcorder battery in one of the camera shops on the 192. When he got home and tried to charge it up it didn't work at all.
    We were over there in three weeks time so I took the battery and the receipt back to the shop.
    Complete waste of time, only three days warranty on the battery according to the shop, waste of $99.
    I would never buy in any of these shops again.Stick to Walmart/Target or Best Buy

Eric