Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solar Heated Pool

Florida Newbie

Solar Heated Pool

Hi

We're planning on staying in Florida in April 2010. I've noticed some villas have solar heating for pools as well as gas or electric. Is solar heating enough to warm a pool in April for night time dips or would I be best paying for electric or gas heating as well?

Thanks

Pam

Hi Pam,

We have solar heating for the pool but I still advise my guests to have the electric as well in April. At this time of year it can be a bit chilly for a nightime dip without it.
    Shirley
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/villas/1786.aspx

We to have both solar and electric. Solar gives your pool water around a 10 deg boost over what it would be without solar. This is a general comment as a sunny day in summer will be different to a cloudy day in winter.

Even with a warm April there is no way I would go in the pool with just solar on at this time of the year. It could be just me but only you know how you like your pool water. Personally if it takes me more than 10 secs to walk down the steps into the water then it's to cold.

Dave
    Dave Lewis

I like a really warm pool and we find solar is plenty for April to October. My husband was at the villa in March this year and switched the electric off, but they were having very good weather and his feet don't get as cold as mine. I would say to be guided by the villa owner as all pools are different.
    Shirley

Pam, where are you staying as there is a big difference in the use of solar heating between Orlando and the Gulf?
    We only have solar on the Gulf and the pool is used 12 months of the year by guests plus ourselves. My 80 year old mum , wife ( no age given out ) and 7 year old daughter have all used the pool in December and January with no problems.

Andrew
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1338.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    There are of course solar panels and solar panels

If you have lots of panels it will be OK in April. Many pools have solar just to supplement their electric/gas heating and solar won't heat a hot tub. <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Pam, where are you staying as there is a big difference in the use of solar heating between Orlando and the Gulf?[/quote]Why?

Generally Orlando is just as hot as the Gulf - if not hotter.

Florida Expert
    I totally agree with Andrew, there is a considerable 'extra warmth' on the Gulf Coast compared with Orlando in the winter.
    Clare R

I think you may have answered your question in the first part. In my experience and no doubt you may disagree there are a lot more villas on the Gulf in the area I know that rely totally on solar panels; maybe they use SOLAR PANELS not just Solar Panels as a primary source and not just to supplement. Also I have read that there is more sunlight or whatever is needed to power the solar panels.
    andrew<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originall y posted by Robert5988
    There are of course solar panels and solar panels

If you have lots of panels it will be OK in April. Many pools have solar just to supplement their electric/gas heating and solar won't heat a hot tub. <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Pam, where are you staying as there is a big difference in the use of solar heating between Orlando and the Gulf?[/quote]Why?

Generally Orlando is just as hot as the Gulf - if not hotter.[/quote]
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1338.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Clare R
    I totally agree with Andrew, there is a considerable 'extra warmth' on the Gulf Coast compared with Orlando in the winter.
    [/quote]

I confess to knowing nothing about solar panels but is it temperature or hours of sunshine that is the important factor?

I do however know that there is no significant difference in either factor between the Gulf Coast area (which it has to be said is hundreds of miles long and subject to wide variations of weather within itself) and the central Florida area. If anything, central Florida enjoys consistently higher temperatures - although not by much.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I beg to differ, if we had electric pool heat on during the summer months on the coast we would be breeding lord knows what in the pool.

The Cape Haze peninsular does seem to be a little blip maybe because it sits out into the gulf slightly.

Our pool during the summer is in the 90's most days.

In fact a pool cooler might be the next must have accessory

We do recommend electric heating October thru April some guests do want the pool heat some do not.

Personal choice at the end of the day.

Lynne