Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Travel agent put me off!

Florida Newbie

Travel agent put me off!

Hi

We plan to go to orlando 2010 and need to go in school holidays, we live in austria and the children here do not start back until around 14th of September. I thought we could take advantage of this and go g first 2 weeks in september hoping it would be quieter, i then asked a local travel agent just about flights and she more or less warned me off Sept talking about hurricanes and said i should take it very seriously and would not be able to get insured for this and could end up stranded! ( Thought their job was to sell!)

To add to this my daughter is 12 on the 14th of August and the fares go up for her. So do i go earlier and cheaper when its busy or pay more hope its quiter and dont get swept away by a hurricane!

Any advice welcome

Gold 5 Star Member
    I would ignore the travel agent. Hurricane season runs from 1st June -30th November so there is just as much risk at any time during that period. You will have no problem getting insurance. We've been going for 11 years and never had any trouble. We have gone a couple of times around then and been fine. There is never any guarantee with the weather. After around 22nd of August the fares generally go down so you can take advantage of that and the facts are quiter as the US and UK school children will be back in school by then.

I would be interested to know if the travel agent has ever been at that time or if she has just watched bad news reporting on a slow news day indicating that any time anyone goes to Florida they will be swept away.

You mentioned it was the agents job to sell. Have you realised that she is doing just that , by subtly (or not so subtly) steering you away from Sept to peak times in August (and probably more commission for them)
    Babblin Boo

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    We are stuck with UK school holidyas but do tend to go as late as possible in august as it does start to get quieter, my sister flew out to the villa the day after we left and returned yesterday. She said the parks were very peaceful and they stayed on some water rides at Universal as there were no queues for them at all.
    As for hurricanes as it has already been said the season is 5-6 months long, so it is just bad luck if one happens to come along. I dont know the system in Austria but can you not book flights directly with the airlines, everything else you need can be got through this site (except holiday insurance).
    Christine

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    I am dumb founded that a travel agent would turn down a booking.... Not sure what insurance is like in Austria, but with skiing classed as a dangerous sport and having to pay extra. I don't see why you will not get insurance for you trip. I doubt whether the whole of Austria avoids going to Florida during June,July, August, Sept and October. sounds more like a porkie pie.

Don't fret I am sure there are many airlines that will take you booking to come in August of September and have a browse around this site for homes, you may even find that her refusal has turned out for the better for you.

i have travelled to Florida for the past 4 years in the summer months and although it is hot and humid and thunderstorms. With britains summer weather where would i like to be if it rains....
    CERI

We've been out here in Florida since the 30th August, the weather is absolutely glorious - and the parks and restaurants are a lot less crowded than during the school holidays when we normally have to visit. We're definitely coming back next year at a similar time!
    Caroline & Dave

we have been out to Florida a number of times in Sept and the weather has always been lovely. The parks are quieter too so if I were you I would ignore the travel agent and go for it. You will have a great time.
    Jan and Lee

We often go out to our villa in September and have found it to be great - not so busy as July or the beginning of August, and having just returned, the weather was perfect.

We have been coming over to Florida for 12 years and have never been put off by hurricanes. I would love to know where your travel agent got her information from - I can see absolutely no reason whatsoever for you not being able to get insurance. We have never found it a problem and it is not one of the criteria that is used when quoting for insurance.

I would go for it if I were you! You will have a great time![msncool][msnwink][8D]
    ellie

Well there you have it - book direct- no hard sell -no biased opinion -just exactly what it says on the tin

18 years ago I was in Florida and a hurricane hit... that was in July.
    I don't think there's anywhere in the world a place where a travel agent can guarantee you won't be hit by some natural or weather phenomenon. Hey, even south-western France was ravaged by a hurricane in 1999 and again a few months ago. If a hurricane comes, you'll get ample warning and I'm sure you'll be advised what to do (and not do [msnwink]). Most likely, you'll have a great vacation and a great weather: enjoy!
    I fail to see why being insured would be a problem, unless it's something specific to Austrian companies...???? Of course you will be "stranded" during a hurricane... like everybody else! [msnwink]

Interesting when someone poses a question like this. I was looking at some data which said that since the year 2000 there were 17 named storms in the month of September, compared to 12 in August, so yes your agent was correct.

BUT

When you look at how many of those were hurricanes, the numbers drop quite a bit, I counted five over the last 8 years.

THEN

When you look at how many hit the Orlando area that number comes down to 2, IN 8 YEARS Frances and Jeanne in 2004. So I would say the odds are good.

I love September in Florida.
    Shirley