Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Passport Expiry

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by janny
    Keith airlines may be behind the times as it were but does Garry really want to stand and argue the toss in the airport with his children in tow?
    [/quote]
    Hi Janny....I hear what you are saying, and you are possibly right in Garry's case.

But the original question was "Do you need to have a minimum 6 months validity left on your passport when travelling to the US". The answer to that question is a clear and unequivocal "No", as backed up by the US Govt themselves via the link on the US Embassy website that Blott posted.

If you want to ask the question "Do you want to argue the toss with a check-in agent that doesn't know the rule has changed?" then only the individual can answer that.

Personally, I would (although the situation has not come up) because they are wrong. But for the sake of peace of mind perhaps Garry is best served by renewing his passport before he travels, and therefore removing all doubt, especially as he has a lot of time to do so.
    Keith

Florida Chatterbox
    Hi All,

Thanks for the advice. My thinking is that if the rule is that you can use a 10 year passport for the 10 years which you have paid for then i will use my existing passport.

As mentioned earlier, we will not be going abroad again until the end of 2011 so by renewing before we travel in February would essentially only give me an 8 year passport next time.

I know that it doesn't really matter for the cost of a passport but when you have to add £70 ish in a time when you're trying to save for a holiday then it kind of does matter when you don't actually need to.

I have the government website from blott which states i can use the passport in the US right up until it expires so that is what i shall do. There should be no arguing as i will have the actual government policy with me.

Here's hoping anyway!!

Thanks again.
    Garry Pullan

Florida Junior
    Garry did you use your original passport and was it ok with no hitches ?

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by redsandy
    Garry did you use your original passport and was it ok with no hitches ?
    [/quote]
    We'll never know! They let him in but didn't let him out![msnwink](only joking)

Florida Newbie
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Shazz34
    I did read the same thing but we did not want to take a chance we are travelling in November and my son in law passport was going to run out in March so in the end we talked him into getting a new one. He has had the new one through and believe it or not he applied for it the 20th July and its not going to expire until April 2021 he seem to have an extra month to what he should have had.
    Also don't forget if you get a new one you need to change the passport number with Esta [high5]
    [/quote]
    Shazz

Gold 5 Star Member
    Also don't forget if you get a new one you need to change the passport number with Esta [/quote][/quote]I think that you would actually have to re-register in which case it might make even more sense to get your new passport before the ESTA charge takes effect.

Florida Chatterbox
    In and out no problem with 5 weeks left on the passport (7 weeks left on arrival). Only difference was the immigration officer changed his date stamp to the passport expiry date rather than the set 90 days on his passport.

Wish they had kept us there then i wouldn't have had to go spend abother £6k for next Easters holiday!!! [msnscared]
    Garry Pullan

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by gpullan
    In and out no problem with 5 weeks left on the passport (7 weeks left on arrival). Only difference was the immigration officer changed his date stamp to the passport expiry date rather than the set 90 days on his passport.

Wish they had kept us there then i wouldn't have had to go spend abother £6k for next Easters holiday!!! [msnscared]
    [/quote]
    Good news, Garry. I'm glad it all went well
    Keith