Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passport Expiry

Florida Chatterbox

Passport Expiry

Hi,

Done some searching on the forum as i'm sure i read a post a while back that the 6 month rule had been abolished.

Can't find the original thread so i'll ask the question again.

We go to Orlando in February and my passport expires in March (i think 14 days after we return).

Do i have to renew or is the passport good right up until the expiry date? Is there hard evidence of this too that i can print out and take with me in case i bump into mr angry at passport control?!

Also, off topic. Did you know that you can fly on an out of date passport for up to 1 year when travelling in the EU?? I didn't until last night when it happened to my nephew flying to Spain!

Thanks
    Garry Pullan

Gold 5 Star Member
    You can't get much more official than the US Government. http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...iv.html#niv079

So no, you don't need to renew your passport if you're not staying for 90 days and will have left the US by the time it expires.

If you do decide to renew your passport, you can have up to 9 months 'credit' from your old passport to your new one. So, if your old one was due to expire in two months, then your new one if applied for now, would be valid for 10 years and two months.
    blott

Florida Chatterbox
    Perfect!

Thanks Blott
    Garry Pullan

There may be a problem with some airlines as some want you to have 6 months on the passport despite the official guidelines that Blott has posted so maybe check with whoever you are fyling with.Alternatively -as Blott says renew and get the extra.

Florida Expert
    Garry, we went out last october with a passport with less than 6 months to run. The Embassy site said this was ok, but we were held up at immigration since they said that this was incorrect.

They did let us in but I would not risk it again

Florida Chatterbox
    Ah ok thanks.

We're flying with Virgin into MCO.

By the sounds of it i may aswell spend the money now to get a new passport rather than next year. The only reason i was delaying is that we won't be going on holiday for a couple of years after Florida next feb so i would waste 2/3 years of a passport not being used.

I'll dip into my pocket and renew now i think. Being held up at immigration is the last thing we need after a 9 hour flight with 5 small kids!!

Thanks all
    Garry Pullan

We have travelled to the US on a passport with a month to run and no problems, only a reminder that it needs renewing.

I am not sure that all EU countries are that relaxed Garry.

The way passport prices are going up and if you are forced to buy an ID card at the same time in the future, you may actually save by buying a new one now with the overlap months.
    Shirley

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by janny
    There may be a problem with some airlines as some want you to have 6 months on the passport despite the official guidelines that Blott has posted so maybe check with whoever you are fyling with.Alternatively -as Blott says renew and get the extra.
    [/quote]
    This is simply because many airlines do not realise the rule has changed. I would print off the page from the Embassy website that Blott posted, and stand your ground.
    Keith

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by heathercobbett
    Garry, we went out last october with a passport with less than 6 months to run. The Embassy site said this was ok, but we were held up at immigration since they said that this was incorrect.

They did let us in but I would not risk it again
    [/quote]
    I cannot believe that they would insist it was incorrect, and yet still let you in. US Immigration are not known for their flexibility on documentation.

More likely they 'forgot' that the rule had changed, and when you mentioned it they suddenly 'remembered'. Again, I would print the page from the website and take it with you.
    Keith

Keith airlines may be behind the times as it were but does Garry really want to stand and argue the toss in the airport with his children in tow?