Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving to Florida and starting up own business

Gold 5 Star Member
    I am presuming you own a limited liabaility company in the UK?? It is much easier to get an L1 inter-company transfer visa than an E2. You just have set up a company in Florida with the same ownership as the UK company and then peetition to transfer yourself between the two. You can either buy a pre-existing business through the Florida company, start a business doing what you do in the UK or as Blott says even start one doing something unrelated. The company in the UK must be capable of continuing trading without any dimunution of turnover. The one draw back is that you are usually only given the L1 for a short time ( just one year in the case of some people I know) and upon renewal you need to show that not only is the old business still trading but also that the new business is trading successfully. That is where it all falls in a heap for a lot of people. If you can get through the renewal, you are usually on track to a green card.
    Julie

Florida Junior
    Hi Julie (Esprit)

I am very interested in knowing more about how to buy a business in the US and would really apreciate if you would email me the same details as per you post.

Any advice on where to start looking for E2 businesses for sale please?

Gold 5 Star Member
    Have a look at www.fbba.com for a business. Contact www.investorvisausa.com for a good attorney who will let yo knoe which business works.
    Julie

Florida Junior
    Thanks for that Julie

Could you please recommend a good attorney - as it is probably a minefield.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Casi, Esprit already told you in the post above yours... [msnwink]
    blott

Florida Junior
    Sorry Blott

Me being thick again!!!

I opened my mouth before I clicked on the link. I thought it was a general site with lots to choose from.

I will go and read now...
    Thanks

Gold 5 Star Member
    No probs Casi. Happens to us all... [msnwink]
    blott

Hello All,

We have just purchased and have just completed a new house on Emerald Island, we are now wanting about buy another home on phase five when lots released.

In the meantime we do want to think about moving over here from uk and possibly setting up a management business, along with a couple of other friends that we have met who would like to do the same.

Can anyone help us in letting us know the best approach to move over here, legal consequences, etc...

Thank You

Walmsley Family

Gold 5 Star Member
    Setting up a management company? It is easier to get a visa buying a business than setting one up I have to say amd with nearly 700 managemnt companies already in Orlando, it might be hard to show you have a USP. I do know of someone who got a visa to set one up in Bradenton but there is far less competition there and a need for good mcs. My attorney told me I could try for a visa with a start up management company if I could get ten signed management contracts to put in with my application. You try getting ten people to commit themselves to your services months before you are even in a position to move out ( one kind lady off this forum did). I put in a business plan as a top up to my main application and it did help me as the business I was buying was marginal but I dont think I would have got in on it alone.
    I have to say as someone who is now doing the job, that it is harder work than you imagine. I am sure Martin will agree with me. Also soneone who has only just bought a home may not have enough knowledge of the industry to start from scratch as there are many things, licensing laws, taxes, rules and regulations that you pick up over time as a homeowner and can apply in a management role. The knowledge acquired over seven years as a homeowner have helped me immensely plus a network of contacts again built up over years. Not sure a new homeowner would succeed in this.
    Also if you are trying for E2, the venture would need to be big enough to support you and your friends as well ( so quite big) It would be max two people with 50% each ( plus dependants), I dont see the embassy giving out lots of E2s to a pile of people running a management company in a sort of consortium.
    Julie