Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: retire to florida

Gold 5 Star Member
    my Gas bill in New England if I used it to heat would be $1200 a month ukman...then the cost of Electric on top about another #200 in winter..we moved back to wood fires..cheaper but hard work and very cold first thing in the morning..it reminds me of my childhood and coalfires..my Nan would get up at 5 to put them on all through our house..never thought I would end up going back to the good old days in the USA ...lol...but everyone here now burns woods..its very foggy sometimes with the smoke and the smell of burnt wood hangs over the Cape..its only been like that the last few years but $150 worth of wood will see you through winter..

If I were retired and had around six months in the US..I would start off in FL and work my way up the East coast by May which is lovely here..that time of year motels are cheap it would work out better than owning...you could rent a town house or something in FL for a few months then move on..flying is so cheap to a lot of places you could really go anywhere..its only $70 for me to travel to FL from MA...the biggest cost is always car rental..
    I know many people come to the US for the weather..but it is very extreme here sometimes..I miss the UK weather...being free to travel within the US is a lot better for early retirement ...most of my retired neighbours are in their late 80s and they drive all over the US to get away from the weather..

Florida Junior
    My Florida air con bills are running about $550 per month. I can usually see a decline in bills in October but not the last two or three years. It was 15 degrees above normal in Florida a few days ago.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Are you sure your AC is working right...my bill is not a quarter of that if I'm in FL high summer..I have the AC set at 76 when I'm there..my winter bills are about $60 if I'm there mostly morning heating.. one just came in at $35 with the house empty ...my bills drop a lot in winter ..

Florida is really great location for America’s retirees to enjoy their golden years.
    No other state offers the combination of warm weather, things to do, and accessibility that Florida can boast.And to add to it nowadays Florida real estate prices are also very affordable.So it right time you can buy in beautiful place to enjoy your retirement

Unfortunately Steve, it is not an option for UK citizens to retire to Florida. Your Government simply will not allow it. I realise it may come as a surprise to you, as many American's are surprised when this subject is talked about. We may be 'Allies' but still not allowed to enjoy the benefits of Florida as retirees. If we are lucky enough to have a valid B1/B2 Visa, we can come for up to 180 days per annum. If we outstay by one day, we would not be allowed back. Unfortunately for us, that is the way it is.[msnoo]

Hope this helps you to understand a little more.

Sandra

Just been reading this forum. We have several friends who spend about 6 months in Florida. They pay about £400 - £500 for travel insurance which they purchase in the UK. We, however, are friendly with an English couple who have, virtually, lived in Florida for around 4 years on B1/B2 visas. They go back for a couple of weeks to the UK and also go for a couple of weeks to stay with their son in Canada and for the rest of the year they live in their Florida home. They own a tiny flat in England that they use as their 'permanent' address. I have always been amazed that they get away with it, but they do. They are not bothered about medical care as they seem to be very wealthy, I think he was in the oil business in the middle east. So it seem to be possible, but I doubt that I would get away with it, probably get caught out.

Andrena