Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best place to view a shuttle launch?

Florida Junior

Best place to view a shuttle launch?

Me and my family will be in Florida from 23rd August-6th Sept and so we will be able to watch the launch of Shuttle Discovery on the 25th August (lets hope it Isn't delayed as much as the last one!)

What I want to know is that where is the best place to view a shuttle launch? I actually know someone who has been invited by Nasa to watch it from the 'countdown clock' area because one of his relatives is going up in that space shuttle!!

Unfortunately I am not that lucky so can I have some recommendations for the best launch viewing spots?

By the way we will be going to the 'viewing spot' by car from the Orlando area (staying in Davenport) so if any roads will be closed because of the launch, can you also let me know about that.

Thanks

Have a look at this thread

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_19475.asp

or put SHUTTLE LAUNCH into the search box to find all the threads that cover this.

You may already know that the planned launch time is 1:36AM. The roads around that area can get very busy so do not plan to be back in the Orlando area very fast.

Past experence suggests that it could take 2 to 3 hours to get back.

Dave

Dave Lewis

Florida Junior
    Thanks for the info Dave

Florida Newbie
    We have just got back from Orlando and we were lucky enough to see the launch on 15th July.

We went to Titusville and managed to get a fantastic spot on the banks of the waterway directly across from the launch pads. It was a really amazing experience. We got there a couple of hours before. I would not leave it any later, as it got very busy there. Also be prepared for a long drive back again after [msnsmile]

If you need some detailed directions let me know and I will consult our map.

Florida Junior
    Hi, must admit to being a little gutted as i was hoping to catch a shuttle launch when were over. I had looked on the nasa site for any launch dates and they had none planned near our stay dates and the one you are going to watch happens the day before we arrive typical [msnscared] lol. Do you know if there are any more scheduelled before september 9th when we come home?

Steve

Hi,

Just to make sure that I have the right information, the shuttle launch is at 1.36am on Tuesday 25th August, so basically on the night of Monday 24th?

Does anyone have a link to a website where we can watch the countdown, and see if it has been cancelled or postponed. Also, if you have an FM or MW radio, can you listen to the launch?

Lindyloo, I have pm'd you with my email address, and I would really appreciate driving direction to the place that you found in Titusville.

Thanks

Nuala
    http://www.orlandovillarental.com/florida-vacation-rental-3291.aspx

This map shows all the local parks which have a view of the launch pad. The nearer to Titusville you get the shorter this distance to the pad. However it also makes for a longer drive back due to all the cars ahead of you.

Dave

Dave Lewis

Florida Savvy

We are also flying out on the 23rd.
    We looked at the NASA site for VIP viewing tickets but they were sold out HOWEVER some bus tour operators still have availability of there allocation. So we managed to get 4 VIP launch viewing tickets from them but the price includes a coach transfer from Kissimmee to KSC. See the links from the NASA site. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links here but if you need them let me know.

We have also watched a delta rocket launch from the pier at Cocoa Beach, further away but a great atmosphere with locals and tourists all watching together. And there is a little outdoor bar at the end of the pier !
    Barry

Hi Barry,

Could you send me a link to the coach company?

Thank you

Nuala
    http://www.orlandovillarental.com/florida-vacation-rental-3291.aspx

Florida Junior
    Thanks for all the replies peeps!

I've done some research and found a place called Jetty Park. It's right at the top end of cocoa beach and has souvenir shops and eating places apparently. So apart from the Kennedy itself, this place seems to be the best bet for viewing the launch.