Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: tom tom problems

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by BarryR

But does anyone know if you pay and download the latest maps whether your favourite places are preserved during the upgrade ?

I assume that the favourites are saved in a file, but wonder if it is overwriten with the latest map download. Anyone have experience of this ?
    [/quote]
    Hi Barry. Yes, your favourites, and all your other settings, are preserved when you do a map upgrade.
    Keith

Florida Expert
    Not nescessarily true.

It can depend on the scale of the map update that TT release. If its a major one you can expect to lose the fav's. If its a minor update then it may keep them.

Thing to do is make a full explorer backup of your device before doing any updates. You can then salvage the fav's if they are lost.

The other thing to do is make a custom POI and save all your fav destinations in there instead, as the POI's copy across.
    Neil & Kay

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty
    Not nescessarily true.

It can depend on the scale of the map update that TT release. If its a major one you can expect to lose the fav's. If its a minor update then it may keep them.

Thing to do is make a full explorer backup of your device before doing any updates. You can then salvage the fav's if they are lost.

The other thing to do is make a custom POI and save all your fav destinations in there instead, as the POI's copy across.
    [/quote]
    I think I must be lucky then, as I have replaced both the entire Western Europe and the entire USA map on mine in the past and never had an issue. But TT never release part maps for purchase..it's always a full map, even if only 5% has changed, which is why the download takes so long.

But I do agree with Frosty that you should always do a backup before you upgrade your maps, just in case it goes wrong.

Also it's a good suggestion to use your own POI category rather than Favourites - the number of favourites you can store is limited. Also with a POI you canset warnings when you get close to them.
    Keith

Florida Chatterbox
    Im off to Florida at easter and am thinking of downloading the US map and taking my UK Tom Tom.
    I can only find the complete USA map on the Tom Tom site, but I have read elsewhere that a download is available of just Florida.
    Anyone know if this is correct, or is it old info?
    Im there for 2 weeks and very unlikely to use anything other than Orlando/Gulf Coast area let alone the rest of the USA map again for the forseeable future, so it seems a bit of a waste to have to buy the whole country.
    cheers
    Ian

Florida Junior
    Ian

My hubby got the USA map last year for his Tom Tom, he says as he had the room for it he was happy to load it.

He has suggested you have a look at the IPMART forum for Tom Toms.

We are heading out again to Florida on the 22nd April for three weeks, two of which we are touring around so we will certainly use our map.

Good luck and have a wonderful holiday.

Hazel

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Kiddie001
    Im off to Florida at easter and am thinking of downloading the US map and taking my UK Tom Tom.
    I can only find the complete USA map on the Tom Tom site, but I have read elsewhere that a download is available of just Florida.
    Anyone know if this is correct, or is it old info?
    Im there for 2 weeks and very unlikely to use anything other than Orlando/Gulf Coast area let alone the rest of the USA map again for the forseeable future, so it seems a bit of a waste to have to buy the whole country.
    cheers
    Ian
    [/quote]

Ian it used to be that you could buy a map just for Florida but it seems the smallest map avaialable now is USA as opposed to North America. It also depends which model you have as to which map you are offered. The TT website is automated so you just enter your model and it the offers you the correct maps.
    Neil & Kay