Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: tom tom problems

Tomtoms are great until you need to use there help service, which is run by complete idiots! hey have a habit of not giving the right key for new maps, which means it does not match to your unit. I am now on my 4th week with two brand new units and no maps. The help center is completely useless and does not even know its own product (to be fair I found this with makes to). When they are setup TT are great.
    If you are going to buy a unit, but one big enough for two full sets of maps, do not be copying map sets backwards and forwards.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty
    It may help some of you if you understand the TT a little more.

If you consider it a small computer with files you can copy and remove just like your normal PC.

I tell you this for the reason that you can copy your existing UK or Western Europe map to your PC to free up space if you can't fit the USA map on there. Just store the UK map on your PC and delete from the device. Then download the USA map to your device.

It is also a good idea to make a full backup of your device to a folder on your PC. Don't use the backup facility on TTHome as this is known to be very unrealiable.
    Instead just select the TT and copy its entire contents to a suitably named folder on your home PC.

This is important as you need to have at least one backup of your maps somewhere other than your device. The reason, if your device ever crashes and you lose your data, its easy to download the software back using TTHome but you can't get another copy of your maps from them without having to pay again.
    Therefore you should have at least one copy somewhere else as you can then copy it back to your device.

Oh and if your starting to have ideas about copying to another device, this doesn't work as the maps are sofware keyed to their own device only.
    So it won't work, unless you use some pirated software to defeat the key.

I'm an active member of a TT forum which can answer most problems that you will come across. Feel free to ask away any problems.
    [/quote]

Florida Savvy

Glad to read all these comments, we are out again in 2 weeks and for the first time will be taking a TT 920T with us. I have set up all the favourites already and noticed that I can ask through the POI's where the nearest cash dispenser is !
    Can't wait to play with it for real in 2 weeks.[8D]
    Barry

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by BarryR

Glad to read all these comments, we are out again in 2 weeks and for the first time will be taking a TT 920T with us. I have set up all the favourites already and noticed that I can ask through the POI's where the nearest cash dispenser is !
    Can't wait to play with it for real in 2 weeks.[8D]
    [/quote]
    I also have a 920T and I find it invaluable. Make sure you use HOME to download both the MapShare updates and the GPS Quickfix before you leave!

One point regarding the MapShare updates - despite HOME asking me which map I want to update (I have Europe on the device and USA on SD card) I have found that I must switch to the US map before connecting to HOME, and then run the Update, in order to get the MapShare updates for USA.

The GPS Quickfix file is only required where you run the application (most likely the device itself rather than the SD card)
    Keith

Florida Expert
    Martin,

Why would you tell someone not to copy maps back and forth?

Some people will have already bought so to tell them to buy one big enough to hold 2 maps could be redundant.

Yes they can buy SD cards if the device accepts them, but it is perfectly safe to copy and swap maps between device and machine, especially if they are PC literate.

Also as i said, everyone should have at least one backup of their maps on their home PC.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
    Tomtoms are great until you need to use there help service, which is run by complete idiots! hey have a habit of not giving the right key for new maps, which means it does not match to your unit. I am now on my 4th week with two brand new units and no maps. The help center is completely useless and does not even know its own product (to be fair I found this with makes to). When they are setup TT are great.
    If you are going to buy a unit, but one big enough for two full sets of maps, do not be copying map sets backwards and forwards.

If you consider it a small computer with files you can copy and remove just like your normal PC.

I tell you this for the reason that you can copy your existing UK or Western Europe map to your PC to free up space if you can't fit the USA map on there. Just store the UK map on your PC and delete from the device. Then download the USA map to your device.

It is also a good idea to make a full backup of your device to a folder on your PC. Don't use the backup facility on TTHome as this is known to be very unrealiable.
    Instead just select the TT and copy its entire contents to a suitably named folder on your home PC.

This is important as you need to have at least one backup of your maps somewhere other than your device. The reason, if your device ever crashes and you lose your data, its easy to download the software back using TTHome but you can't get another copy of your maps from them without having to pay again.
    Therefore you should have at least one copy somewhere else as you can then copy it back to your device.

Oh and if your starting to have ideas about copying to another device, this doesn't work as the maps are sofware keyed to their own device only.

I'm an active member of a TT forum which can answer most problems that you will come across. Feel free to ask away any problems.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    Neil & Kay

Pleaae ead my full quote 'if you are going to buy'. If you already have a unit with a small storage area then you would be stuck with having to move maps backwards and forwards. Not all models have SD card slots.

Martin,

Some people will have already bought so to tell them to buy one big enough to hold 2 maps could be redundant.

Yes they can buy SD cards if the device accepts them, but it is perfectly safe to copy and swap maps between device and machine, especially if they are PC literate.

Also as i said, everyone should have at least one backup of their maps on their home PC.

[/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Florida Expert
    if you read my quote, i said "yes they can buy SD cards if the device accepts them"

Pleaae ead my full quote 'if you are going to buy'. If you already have a unit with a small storage area then you would be stuck with having to move maps backwards and forwards. Not all models have SD card slots.

Martin,

[/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    Neil & Kay

So you did, well done you

if you read my quote, i said "yes they can buy SD cards if the device accepts them"

Martin,

[/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Florida Junior
    Well we have bit the bullet and bought the download map, as its so close to departure date (13 days, 1 hour, 58 mins, but who's counting) will it still be neccessary to buy the gps quikfix and poi updates etc before we go or should it still be current enough to have any of these items on it.
    steve

Florida Savvy
    Thanks Sniff.

Yes I knew about selecting the US map before connecting to TT Home.

But does anyone know if you pay and download the latest maps whether your favourite places are preserved during the upgrade ?

I assume that the favourites are saved in a file, but wonder if it is overwriten with the latest map download. Anyone have experience of this ?

And yes I have both a backup and copies of the TT files on my PC.
    Barry

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Steve Robbins
    Well we have bit the bullet and bought the download map, as its so close to departure date (13 days, 1 hour, 58 mins, but who's counting) will it still be neccessary to buy the gps quikfix and poi updates etc before we go or should it still be current enough to have any of these items on it.
    steve
    [/quote]
    Hi Steve. You don't need to buy the GPS quickfix...it is free, and downloadable via the HOME application. Whenever you run HOME to update your satnav unit it should offer you to download and install the GPS Quick fix. I always accept this, because it does no harm, and it's a small file. It simply contains the so-called Ephemeral data that tells what satellites will be where for the next few days (I think the data is valid for 7 days, but don't quote me on that). You don't strictly need it, but it will help your satnav unit get a sat lock more quickly, provided the ephemeral data is still valid (therefore I always make sure I download the GPS quickfix a day or two before I go away).

Regarding POIs (Points Of Interest)...a POI is just a Label, and a set of coordinates that identify the location of that Point Of Interest so it can be navigated to. You can add your own POIs via the satnav unit, but many people have prepared lists already which can be useful for you.

There are free POI lists and chargeable ones. Many free ones are already on your satnav when you bought it (railway stations, airports, hotels, etc etc). Many more are avaliable free of charge either downloadable via HOME or sometimes from other websites. These are often lists of shops or banks or ATMs for example. Many others are downloadable for a charge (again via HOME or other websites) and these chargeable ones are usually specific ones like lists of WIFI hotspots or a particular hotel chain, for example.

More and more companies are using POIs as a marketing tool, so you should check (for example) store websites to see if they provide a downloadable list of their stores as POIs.
    Keith