Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: tom tom problems

Florida Junior
    thanks for all the info guys much appreciated
    steve

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    I bought a 520 and then the american maps, which I put on a Compact Flash card, I had a few problems with uploading updates. but never with the maps themselves, my only problem is that by the time it has found the satalite link I am already out of the airport and lost[msnembarrased] but it always get me back on track.
    Lyn

You need to update and download the gps quick fix points just before you go away.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Lyn
    I bought a 520 and then the american maps, which I put on a Compact Flash card, I had a few problems with uploading updates. but never with the maps themselves, my only problem is that by the time it has found the satalite link I am already out of the airport and lost[msnembarrased] but it always get me back on track.
    [/quote]

Hi,
    I have a tom tom 930 and when you switch to the US map a blank screen appears because you are using the UK satellites and not the ones over the US.You can't use the US map when in the UK.

[/quote]
    As Martin says, downloading the GPS Quick Fix data just before you leave UK (via TT HOME) will definitely speed up satellite detection. The data is valid for a few days so you should be OK to do it before you leave. Also, wait until the unit gets a sat lock before you drive off. It will take MUCH longer to get a sat lock if you are moving.
    Keith

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by RoyalMarineCommando
    Hi,
    I have a tom tom 930 and when you switch to the US map a blank screen appears because you are using the UK satellites and not the ones over the US.You can't use the US map when in the UK.
    [/quote]
    It depends what you want to do. Of course your GPS location is outside of the current map so you cannot do navigation. But you can certainly switch to the US maps and add POIs, Favourites, do A-B route planning etc which can be very useful.

FYI there are not "UK satellites" and "US satellites". Contrary to popular belief the GPS satellites are NOT in geostationary orbit. They are in fact constantly circling the Earth, and that's why the GPS Quick Fix (so-called ephemeral data, which tells the satnav units where the satellites will be at any given time) is crucial to helping it find a sat lock. This is particularly important if you switch off your unit in location A and switch it back again in location B, which is (in this case) thousands of miles away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS
    Keith

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    Thanks Keith, but when picking up an Alamo car at Orlando International, you are in a multi storey car park, don't think I would ever get satellite detection whilst sitting there would I?
    Lyn

Thanks Keith, but when picking up an Alamo car at Orlando International, you are in a multi storey car park, don't think I would ever get satellite detection whilst sitting there would I?
    [/quote]
    You'd be surprised - The new SIRF III receivers are quite sensitive. But just to be on the safe side I always download the GPS Quickfix the day before I go to US...it really does make a difference.
    Keith

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sniff
    [/quote]
    You'd be surprised - The new SIRF III receivers are quite sensitive. But just to be on the safe side I always download the GPS Quickfix the day before I go to US...it really does make a difference.
    [/quote]

i too download the GPS quickfix the day before i go, i have a 920T and it finds satellites in the MCO car park no problem.

Dave

Florida Expert
    It may help some of you if you understand the TT a little more.

If you consider it a small computer with files you can copy and remove just like your normal PC.

I tell you this for the reason that you can copy your existing UK or Western Europe map to your PC to free up space if you can't fit the USA map on there. Just store the UK map on your PC and delete from the device. Then download the USA map to your device.

It is also a good idea to make a full backup of your device to a folder on your PC. Don't use the backup facility on TTHome as this is known to be very unrealiable.
    Instead just select the TT and copy its entire contents to a suitably named folder on your home PC.

This is important as you need to have at least one backup of your maps somewhere other than your device. The reason, if your device ever crashes and you lose your data, its easy to download the software back using TTHome but you can't get another copy of your maps from them without having to pay again.
    Therefore you should have at least one copy somewhere else as you can then copy it back to your device.

Oh and if your starting to have ideas about copying to another device, this doesn't work as the maps are sofware keyed to their own device only.
    So it won't work, unless you use some pirated software to defeat the key.

I'm an active member of a TT forum which can answer most problems that you will come across. Feel free to ask away any problems.
    Neil & Kay