Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General Advice on Driving in Florida

Florida Newbie

General Advice on Driving in Florida

Hi,

I am off to Florida in 3 weeks time and I was just after some advice on a few points whilst driving. In no particular order can the experts out there offer some answers on the following:

a. Are the Pumps colour coded the same as in UK/Europe ie unleaded green, diesel black etc.
    b. I'm sure I have read that you pay for your "gas" first and then fill up is that correct?
    c. Tolls what is the best means of payment. If cash what "coinage" or "notes" are taken. Are all tolls unmanned or are some manned. Do you have to go into specific lanes at the tolls?
    d. Can you offer an up to date price for "gas" at the pumps just so I can estimate possible expenditure?
    e. Any other tips/advice much appreciated!!

many thanks in advance[msncool]

The gas was $2.43 when we came home on the 20 JULY it had gone down each week when we were there .
    As the barrel of oil has gone down again my be it has gone down again now .
    We had a Dodge Charger so it all helps and we got lots of miles from it has they are all automatic.
    MAUREEN
    www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683

Just to clarify, Blott means that UK cards don't work for "Pay At Pump". Obviously you can pay for your gas with UK cards inside the gas station.

Also to clarify, there are some unmanned toll booths which ONLY take coins, 75c I think, hence the need for Quarters. For some reason, people seem to think that throwing a dollar bill in the coin-bucket will work. It doesn't.

Lastly, good tip here -quite often the petrol pump, er, gas pump, will not work until you lift up a pointless lever on the pump. I have no idea what this used to do in the olden days, but in the 21st Century of microprocessors I'm fairly certain this lever could now be superceded. However MANY pumps still require you to lift it before you can get your gas.

And Lastly (again), when you have filled your car with gas, remember to get in the driver's side of the car, not the passenger side, to avoid embarrassment. This comes from personal experience.
    Dave.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mfairhurst
    We had a Dodge Charger so it all helps and we got lots of miles from it has they are all automatic.
    MAUREEN [/quote]I don't know just why Maureen but Automatics actually use more fuel than a manual gearbox and in some cases the difference is surprising, but at that price it doesn't exactly break the bank.

I've been driving automatics in the UK for many years and there's a significant cost difference in fuel terms over here.

Florida Chatterbox
    a. Are the Pumps colour coded the same as in UK/Europe ie unleaded green, diesel black etc.

I've never been given a diesel car so can't comment on the colour of the pump.

b. I'm sure I have read that you pay for your "gas" first and then fill up is that correct?

On my first trip when I went inside the gas station the attendant suggested I leave $20, also that I should use the cheapest fuel as it was only a hire care. I think I had to go back and get the change but fuel was a lot cheaper then, around 99c a gal and I had hired a small car. We now hire SUV's and we found that $20 fills up 1/2 tank but I think in March it was around $2. Good advice about the lever at the pump, you can also use a clip to keep the lever on the fuel nozzle depressed when refueling (wish they had the same device here)

c. Tolls what is the best means of payment. If cash what "coinage" or "notes" are taken. Are all tolls unmanned or are some manned. Do you have to go into specific lanes at the tolls?

Most tolls are manned and are clearly marked which ones to use. From memory they are on the right hand lane, on 417 Florida Greeneway you have to to into a slip road to pay at toll. Most tolls are a $1, it's when you exit from the 417 that you find the unmanned tolls (50c) On previous threads people have thrown in English coins and the barrier has gone up. You can prepay the tolls when you pick up your hire car but I've never done this as we only use the tolls to and from the airport. Perhaps someone else can explain how this works.

d. Can you offer an up to date price for "gas" at the pumps just so I can estimate possible expenditure?

e. Any other tips/advice much appreciated!!

Don't forget you can turn right at traffic lights unless there is a sign forbidding it. The road signs you can see overhead at junctions are telling you the name of the road you are crossing (if that makes sense). It took me ages to realise this, very important when you're trying to navigate and drive at same time.

[msnscared]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    MAUREEN [/quote]I don't know just why Maureen but Automatics actually use more fuel than a manual gearbox and in some cases the difference is surprising, but at that price it doesn't exactly break the bank.

I've been driving automatics in the UK for many years and there's a significant cost difference in fuel terms over here.
    [/quote]
    Strange...in theory you should get better mileage from an automatic because you are always in the correct gear (compared to a manual where you are reliant upon the driver to change gear to keep the engine in the 'sweet spot')

But I must admit I have never driven an automatic and manual version of the same car to be able to compare apples with apples
    Keith

And Lastly (again), when you have filled your car with gas, remember to get in the driver's side of the car, not the passenger side, to avoid embarrassment. This comes from personal experience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dave.

Dave, you made me laugh when I read this I have quite often done this, and found myself sitting in the passenger seat waiting for the car to move[msnembarrased]

Nuala
    http://www.orlandovillarental.com/florida-vacation-rental-3291.aspx

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sniff

[/quote]
    Strange...in theory you should get better mileage from an automatic because you are always in the correct gear (compared to a manual where you are reliant upon the driver to change gear to keep the engine in the 'sweet spot')

But I must admit I have never driven an automatic and manual version of the same car to be able to compare apples with apples
    [/quote]

The reason your auto box uses more fuel is down to the fact that drive is obtained through using oil as a link between your engine and eventually the drive shaft. A manual is direct drive through hard mechanical parts so a lot less drag.

Dave

Florida Newbie
    Hi,

Many many thanks for all the replies!! Getting into the drivers seat I suppose is very important!! Whilst driving left hand drive cars (in Europe) have you ever used your left hand attempting to change gear and instead almost wind the window down??? I have (idiot!!) cheers everybody as usual great advice offered on the forum!!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sunseeker
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sniff

[/quote]

[/quote]

The reason your auto box uses more fuel is down to the fact that drive is obtained through using oil as a link between your engine and eventually the drive shaft. A manual is direct drive through hard mechanical parts so a lot less drag.

Dave
    [/quote]
    Well most auto boxes these days use lock-up on the torque convertors so there isn't a great deal of loss in the transmission.
    Keith