Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Spending Money

Florida Junior

Spending Money

Hi, how much spending money would you suggest we take for our holiday next year, we have already bought our Theme Park tickets through this site, our car hire is sorted its just for food and the odd bits and pieces plus fuel.
    There will be 5 of us, 2 adults an 18 year old a 15 year old and a 9 year old.
    We are staying in a villa which is about half hour from Universal (dont really fancy Disney)
    Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Florida Chatterbox
    As much as you can afford , also you have not said how long you are going for as this will make a difference in what to spend.

If this is your first time , I think you will find it very very hard just sticking to food and bits and pieces especially if you have two teenagers, once they see the shops they will go wild, I know my kids do ,buying trainers t shirts jeans you name it.

If its for food only and you plan to eat out most days we always budgeted for approx $200 per day for the five of us.
    Our last trip with all 5 of us at xmas we took $4500 for 14 days, and we didnt bring much money home, we did however bring 2 extra suitcases home filled with every thing from Yankee candles to sheets sets.

p.s always take a credit card with some emergency money in case you need medical assistance as you will have to pay for it then claim it back from the insurance when you come home.

Florida Savvy
    This is such a variable as it really does depend on whether you are talking about just for eating or 'shopping' too.

This is just a personal view but we have never got into the big shopping thing in Florida - so have never spent large amounts of money on stuff that in my own personal experience can often be found for the same or similar prices at home if you know where to look.

Meals and shopping for food can be as expensive or as cheap as you want to make it. Eating out can be cheap too eg $5.99 pp all you can eat Pizza buffets in Ci Cis and some very good value breakfast in the likes of Denny's/Ponderosa. For a great value Chinese try Panda Express (way better IMHO than some of the rather seedy/dodgy looking 'all you can eat' Chinese buffet set ups you will see)

Eating in the parks can be expensive but we noticed some pretty 'good dining deals' in Disney this year but you say you aren't going there and I'm not sure if Universal do them (somebody in here will though).

As you are in a villa if you want to keep the cost down - suggest breakfast in the villa (we did OJ/coffee/toasted bagles/yoghurt/fruit at the side of our pool most days - very civilised).

As dsv77 says if you are looking at purely meals only $200- $250 per day should easily cover it - if you and/or the kids want to go 'mad in the malls' and/or discount stores, well I'm afraid you are only limited by how much weight you can bring home and how much UK customs allow - something else people often forget about.

Last year, the 5 of us (3 adults and 2 teens, 10 & 13) budgetted $150 per day. We had some spare money for parking and fuel (around $ 350 I think). We actually had money left over. We were there for 3 weeks. The girls each had their own $ 25 a day budget.
    However, we do not go for the expensive meals, nor do we drink alcohol except for the occasional cocktail.
    We go out to breakfast (buffet) and eat snacks in the parks. Also had delicious meals in the foodcourts in the Malls. Then in the evening we would eat in the villa, either a good meal or bits and pieces.

In 10 weeks time we are going again and this time our daily budget is $ 200 a day. The girls, now 12 and 15 have a $ 30 a day budget.

We plan on eating out for breakfast every day, we have looked and printed restaurants for meal deals and there's WalMart for eating in the villa.
    In general we budget:
    $ 45 for breakfast (we're not spending that though)
    $ 60 for lunch/dinner
    $ 15 for parking
    $ 80 for buying stuff
    We know we will have money left over. Still if you go and eat for $ 100 or even more per day just for dinner each day, then you know you need to budget more money. It all depends on what you plan to spend.

We also by lots of stuff but cheap at flea markets, WalMart and sometimes a sweater in the parks.
    Have fun!!