Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: School fines

As a father of three and an ex school governor I can see both sides.

This Christmas I am taking all three out so they miss the last week of term. The reason this time is that it saves me over £400 per person on flights going a week earlier. When you have 5 adults to pay for that is over £2000, and is the difference between us having or not having a holiday this year.

If I was taking them somewhere totally different, and outside their normal experience I could certainly argue the educational value of it.

In the end I agree with Katys Grandad, we all try to do what is best for our kids in our own way.
    Graham

Hi
    Update time:

Still waiting to find out if the holiday has been authorised and if any fines are to be paid. We went in October! The BIG Home Learning pack was completed as was all the extra English and Science work we took with us and it was all handed in on my daughter's first day back at secondary school. The school has yet to make their decision. We are keeping everything crossed for an outcome in our favour.
    Wendy

We are out in Florida with 2grand daughters Age 6 & 9 One lives in York the other in Bromsgrove west midlands no problems with either schools Mothers wrote to the school governers & it was granted
    Carol

Hi

Update time - finally, my daughter's holiday has been authorised this week with no fines - we came back on the 24th October!
    Wendy

Florida Expert
    Just wanted to ask if anyone has ever taken the 10 days that the school is allowed to give and used them for the two weeks before the end of term ( six weeks summer holidays ) Our school breaks up on the 23 July and I am looking to go out around the 10th. The Scottish schools usually break up a week earlier than us so if we go out around the 10th we should still be able to get a reasonable flight and then we will be able to have all the summer out in Florida.

Super Moderator
    I would not have thought it would make any difference when it comes to when during the year you request the 10 days. I remember when our 2 were at school there were several children taken out at the end of the year as they had finished their exams and for some years it was mainly intermural activities, eg theatre visits and sports days so no actual lessons were missed.

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    That should not be a problem as long there are no exams, which that late in the year is unlikely.
    Lyn

Florida Expert
    He is only 6 so did not think it would matter just wanted to know in advance if anyone had had a problem taken the two weeks before term end as long as he was back for the September start. Thank you for your replies.

When our son was 6, we requested 6 days at the beginning of December thinking that they would be winding down for Christmas and permission was denied!
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/Villas/1964.aspx

Florida Expert
    Well school has OK`d the holidays but I have just received an email to say that our flights have changed! We were to fly on the 14th July from Newcastle to Amsterdam then on to Orlando, now we will not fly from Amsterdam until the next day. Anyone stayed overnight in Amsterdam airport area. There is just myself and grandson so do not want to leave the airport if possible.