Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tired of waiting in Disney theme park lines?

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.

Tired of waiting in Disney theme park lines?

I've just spotted this. Looks like a really handy idea for when you are at the parks [msnsmile].

Tired of waiting in Disney theme park lines? There’s an iPhone app for that, too

"Now an iPhone can do more than just help you kill time while waiting in theme-park lines: it can help you avoid them altogether," Bridget Carey reports for The Miami Herald. "Jacksonville father of four Brent Pope, 44, released a series of applications called Wait Watchers, which shows wait times for Disney and Universal theme-park attractions -- and costs 99 cents per theme park."

"First came the app for Disney's Magic Kingdom, released two weeks ago. This week, he released versions for Disney's Animal Kingdom, Disney's Hollywood Studios and Epcot, as well as Universal's Islands of Adventure. He also has created an app for Disneyland, Disney's California Adventure and Universal Studios Hollywood," Carey reports. "One for Universal Studios Orlando is on its way."

Carey reports, "The applications depend on parkgoers to keep the information up to date. Using Global Positioning System technology, the application allows users to submit a wait-time update only if they are in the theme park."

"Think you can shoo away crowds by greatly exaggerating a ride's wait time? Think it would be funny to say the hardly ever crowded Carousel of Progress has a 110-minute wait? Pope's prepared for that and will block an iPhone ID if a user gets flagged multiple times for sending totally wrong times," Carey reports. "Pope said his app will be useful if at least 12 people in each park contribute data to it throughout the day. His next update will include a countdown for showtimes."

More in the full article here.

More info and download links for the Wait Watchers apps ($0.99 each) via Apple's iTunes App Store here.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Wait Watchers - clever title!

Very neat indeed. Provided people input the data should be very up to date.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
    I've just spotted this. Looks like a really handy idea for when you are at the parks [msnsmile].

Tired of waiting in Disney theme park lines? There’s an iPhone app for that, too

"Now an iPhone can do more than just help you kill time while waiting in theme-park lines: it can help you avoid them altogether," Bridget Carey reports for The Miami Herald. "Jacksonville father of four Brent Pope, 44, released a series of applications called Wait Watchers, which shows wait times for Disney and Universal theme-park attractions -- and costs 99 cents per theme park."

"First came the app for Disney's Magic Kingdom, released two weeks ago. This week, he released versions for Disney's Animal Kingdom, Disney's Hollywood Studios and Epcot, as well as Universal's Islands of Adventure. He also has created an app for Disneyland, Disney's California Adventure and Universal Studios Hollywood," Carey reports. "One for Universal Studios Orlando is on its way."

Carey reports, "The applications depend on parkgoers to keep the information up to date. Using Global Positioning System technology, the application allows users to submit a wait-time update only if they are in the theme park."

"Think you can shoo away crowds by greatly exaggerating a ride's wait time? Think it would be funny to say the hardly ever crowded Carousel of Progress has a 110-minute wait? Pope's prepared for that and will block an iPhone ID if a user gets flagged multiple times for sending totally wrong times," Carey reports. "Pope said his app will be useful if at least 12 people in each park contribute data to it throughout the day. His next update will include a countdown for showtimes."

More in the full article here.

More info and download links for the Wait Watchers apps ($0.99 each) via Apple's iTunes App Store here.
    [/quote]

If you have a UK iphone presumably you would have to switch on data roaming...... would this not result in a BIG phone bill?
    Caroline & Dave

There is that to consider if you are from the UK. I guess you could just use any wi-fi locationd that are available in the park.

US guests would not have the problem and would probably find this a really useful tool though [msnsmile]
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caroline
    If you have a UK iphone presumably you would have to switch on data roaming...... would this not result in a BIG phone bill?
    [/quote]

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    Is there any free wifi in the parks?

I would love to use it, although it is not a large cost to download I find it very odd, that they are charging for an app that requires your input for it work.... so to speak..
    CERI

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CERICROWLEY

I would love to use it, although it is not a large cost to download I find it very odd, that they are charging for an app that requires your input for it work.... so to speak..
    [/quote]
    See your point. Don't know about iphones but would it cost you to send them the info they need?

Its just a fee for the software $4 for all 4 parks is cheap.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CERICROWLEY

[/quote]

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    See Martin

I would buy it, no problems. although overseas charges, are [msnoo] looking at the £12.50 for 10mb although when I reset my data, I did receive about 12mb of data in about 6 days, so might be switching it on and off a lot, although I did google a couple of wifi areas in disney, which sound promising.

Let you know in a couple of weeks, if it is any good.
    CERI

I think the main point I was excited about was this is the first I have heard of any service like this and it looks like a great time saver. As time goes on, you can expect more of this kind of thing, perhaps on the iPhone, perhaps on different phones, perhaps in another way like more digital signage in the parks.

It all helps make sure you get the best out of your day at the parks [msnsmile].