Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sunpass/ Tolls

Florida Chatterbox
    Yes my transponder beeps, I can't recall the exact interpretation of the beeps but there are long and short ones. I think 2 short ones may be low balance???? I think there is a key to the beeps on website.
    I have never been charged for incorrect tolls. We do keep our transponder in the foil bag when not in use.
    Zander Buchan
    www.orlandovillas.com/villas/109.aspx

Florida Expert
    Info from Sunpass which may be helpful. (Applies to larger rubber sucker style transponders only - not the new mini stick - on type which don't have lights or sounds)

Lights and Sounds
    When you pass through a SunPass toll lane, your transponder will provide information via both lights and sounds (audio tones). The SunPass Mini Sticker transponder, because it has no batteries, does not provide lights and sounds.

The chart below explains the various combinations of lights and sounds. If the light is:
    And the tone is:
    It means:

Long
    Green High
    Toll paid - go ahead.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No Light High
    Low
    High
    Low
    Toll paid- go ahead- but you have a low balance in your account.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No Light Low
    Low
    Low
    This means one of three things:

Your transponder is invalid.
    Your batteries are low.
    Toll was not paid and you have insufficient funds in your account. Place transponder in silver bag and pay cash.
    Call 1-888-865-5352

Kevin

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by zanderbuchan
    Yes my transponder beeps, I can't recall the exact interpretation of the beeps but there are long and short ones. I think 2 short ones may be low balance???? I think there is a key to the beeps on website.
    I have never been charged for incorrect tolls. We do keep our transponder in the foil bag when not in use.
    [/quote]

The sound and light codes

If the light is:Long Green And the tone is:High
    It means:Toll paid - go ahead.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If the light is:No Light And the tone is:High/Low High/Low
    It means:Toll paid - go ahead- but you have a low balance in your account

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If the light is:No Light And the tone is:Low/low/low
    This means one of three things:

Your transponder is invalid.
    Your batteries are low.
    Toll was not paid and you have insufficient funds in your account. Place transponder in silver bag and pay cash.
    Call 1-888-865-5352

If the light is:Flashing Green And the tone is:High/High
    It means:Toll paid - Your account has been replenished - go ahead.

Dave [msnsmile2]

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks a lot for your informations...

I think ours is a little defect as it does never beeps or lights even if it transmit and pays every toll perfectly...

now, about wrong invoicing, I got the following explanation from SunPass this morning :

"If your account has the vehicle description including tag#, the SunPass system will I-toll your account.
    I-Toll stands for image tolling, which means if your transponder does not pay the toll a picture of your vehicles tag# is captured.
    With the vehicle tag# we are able to locate your SunPass account and deduct the toll amount that was missed.
    Please ensure that your vehicle information is correct."

Important : So people (like me !) who never delete or change rental car details are at risk !!!

However, I not sure you can delete all your car details when you return to Europe ?!?
    [url]http://www.orlandovillarentals.com/florida-vacation-rental-3515.aspx[/url]
    [url]http://www.orlandovillarentals.com/florida-vacation-rental-3516.aspx[/url]

Florida Junior
    You can add and delete vehicle registrations online can't you? That was my understanding from what I read on here and the sunpass website......

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by parthiban
    You can add and delete vehicle registrations online can't you? That was my understanding from what I read on here and the sunpass website......
    [/quote]

I've not added a car registration to my account, and it works fine[msncool]. If you put the hire car plate on it yu'll need to remove it the day you leave or even the night before otherwise you'll pay the toll if some one goes through the express lane without a working transponder[msnsad].
    I do turn on airport parking if I'm picking some one up otherwise it stays off. I have mine on auto top up so don't look at it that much but just logged on and all is still ok[msnsmile2]
    Dave [msnsmile2]

Florida Junior
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jolliffee
    I've not added a car registration to my account, and it works fine[msncool]. If you put the hire car plate on it yu'll need to remove it the day you leave or even the night before otherwise you'll pay the toll if some one goes through the express lane without a working transponder[msnsad].
    I do turn on airport parking if I'm picking some one up otherwise it stays off. I have mine on auto top up so don't look at it that much but just logged on and all is still ok[msnsmile2]
    [/quote]
    That's an interesting point actually, and from the experience of longleaf it seems to be a potential problem. Seeing as I think the plan is to make the video tolling thing for everyone in future (not just for rental cars) it appears that they're using an "either or" system at the moment - it reads the unit, but if it's not there it tries to match the reg to an account.

Which does pose a weird problem! Either you don't register the vehicle, and then if the unit fails to read you'll need to sort that out, or you do register the vehicle, but then need to make sure to de-register it as soon as you return the vehicle.

Can you add/remove vehicles over the phone? In which case it might be safer/easier to stick with the latter, and just make a quick call to sunpass while in the airport waiting to board your flight home [msnsmile2]

I would remove the plate the night before and make sure the transponder worked if it didn't Call 1-888-865-5352. The alternative is to do it after you drop the car but I don't think you need to make it complicated.
    Dave [msnsmile2]

Florida Expert
    Kirkintilloch, Scotland and Indian Creek, Kissimmee
    We just put the sunpass on the windscreen when we pick up the car - and off we go! We have had it now for about 8 years - one thing to remember - check the battery!! A couple of years ago I realised that it hadn't 'beeped' going through two or three tolls - when we took it to Walgreens - sure enough - the battery was dead! It's just like a watch battery - a couple of $$ and we were as good as new! and the tolls we went through were deducted when we were back live! We also have the payments coming out of one of our UK accounts, NOT our USA account - no problems there either! The transponder is registered to the owner - not the car! Best $25 I have ever spent.
    Jean

Florida Junior
    I usually register my rental vehicles but this year I didn't. Received a $42 charge on my CC. Spoke to Budget and it was for tolls used in February. My Sunpass account was up to date and the charges were taken. Both Budget and Sunpass refused to refund as they said it was my responsibility to register my car. The odd thing is I was there for 4 months and had 4 cars and it was only the Feb one that I had a problem with.

Sara