Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Washington to Orlando

Washington to Orlando

Thinking of flying with Virgin from LGW-WAS, returning MCO-MAN

Anyone driven from Washington to Orlando and was there anything worth stopping off to see on the way down (apart from Augusta naturally! [msnsmile2])
    Regards, Mark

Gold 5 Star Member
    The Blue Ridge Parkway through Virginia to the Shenandoah National Park and onto the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I did it a few years ago - absolutely breathtaking - but don't attempt it in the winter months.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    The Blue Ridge Parkway through Virginia to the Shenandoah National Park and onto the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I did it a few years ago - absolutely breathtaking - but don't attempt it in the winter months.
    [/quote]Thanks, looking at late April into May next year.
    Regards, Mark

We too did Blue Ridge Parkway after landing in Washington and first visiting Gettysburg (brilliant!). Stopped off at Charleston and Savannah as well.....Charleston I would definitely do again.

Next time we will take the coastal route as well as visitng places which were important in civil war as that part of US history fascinates us.

Liz

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MarkJan
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    [/quote]Thanks, looking at late April into May next year.
    [/quote]

No problem at that time of year. if you can fit at least some of it in, you'll be glad you did.

Florida Chatterbox
    If you are looking at the Blue Ridge Parkway also think about a stop at The Biltmore Estate on the way. This is the biggest home in the US and was built by the Vanderbuilt family. The grounds were designed by Frederick Olmstead who also designed Central Park. Well worth a visit.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Just doing our family tree the Vanderbuilt's are in it by marriage through the Belmont part of our family...very distant mind you ...but to think we moved from the UK to an area with a lot of Belmont history is amazing..we are Beaumont my Great Uncle is a Belmont..the same name different spelling so the family can intermarry to keep the money within the family...