Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: ZICAM

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar

ZICAM

I know we have spoken about this product on the forum before and it is favoured by a few folks myself included but the FDA have announced ths week they are taking three of the products off the shelf including the nasal swabs, cold remedy nasal gel and a third product which has already been shelved as it was a childs version of one of the products. I have 2/3 of those in my medicine cabinet!

It is going in for testing and if the FDA are happy the company will be allowed to market it again but it cannot until the test have been caried out. There have been reports of loss of sense of smell so the FDA want to see if it has any foundation.

Just thought I should post incase anyone still uses it or wonders why they can't find it next time they need some.

CDV

We saw it on CNN on our tv in UK at least it is being looked at .
    Thank you for posting CDV good idea as some people may have them in there medicine cupboard here
    MAUREEN
    www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    I use the tablets, and they appear to be good.
    However, the products for spraying or swabbing the nose contain Zinc and it is this type of preparation that is linked with anosmia (the loss of smell). As a result the FDA have had the product removed from the market.
    At the end of the day, it is the long term use of the product that is linked to the loss of smell, so if you only have one or two of these sprays/swabs at home, don't panic, but you won't be able to get a new supply next time you are over in the USA

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar
    Chris yes it is just the nasal products. It depends on the result of the tests the FDA carry out, if it is not a problem they have said it will be back on the market.

I have used it for a few years now and can still smell
    CDV

Florida Expert
    I got a very severe nasal/sinus infection when I was pregnant with my second child (1983) ,whatever the doctor gave me cleared up the infection but Ilost 80% of my sense of smell . I m sure nowadays I would received nothing and told to sufer until after the birth.
    Olive