Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A few notes for British 1st time visitors

A few notes for British 1st time visitors

A few notes that might help you to settle in a little more quickly and get the most out of your holiday.

Groceries

Because this is a tourist area most British grocery items are available but at a price. Things that you may wish to take with you are :-

* Instant coffee – American brands are rather bitter
    * Tea bags – most tea bags in America have strings and tags attached
    * Brown sauce – I paid nearly $5 for a small bottle when we ran out
    * Salad Cream
    * Washing powder- I have yet to fully work out the mysteries of soap powders and bleach and stain removers. Basic American washing powder is useless so I usually take a small quantity of Persil bio tablets with me.

All these will travel OK in plastic containers.

Bread – Most American bread is very sweet, by trial and error we have found that the best bread to buy is the Chicago Italian Bread from the Publix in store bakery and the French bread from the Wal Mart in store bakery.

Butter – virtually unspreadable from the fridge, we usually buy the Land Lakes brand with added canola oil.

Sugar – generally sold in huge quantities for baking or in cardboard tubes with a pourer ( a little like old fashioned salt containers) for about 90 cents, this should last you for the duration.

Milk –Sold in percentage fat, semi-skimmed is roughly equivalent to 1%

Supermarkets

Publix on the H27. Turn left at Sand Mine Road, there are lights at this junction.

This is a nice store with a bakery, hot takeaway counter and salad bar and a section for people with food allergies. British goods are found in the ethnic isle, you should be able to get everything you need here however it is a little more expensive than Wal-Mart which is about ten minutes further drive along the N27. Wal-Mart is visible on the right hand side of the road about a mile after passing the exit to the 192. Turn right at the lights at Cagans Crossing there is a sign post for the store.

Wal-Mart is huge and is open 24/7. Stay close together in store I once lost my husband and the kids for 40 minutes and is the reason why we purchased radio phones. This store sells everything from groceries to weight lifting equipment and clothes to tyres for your sports utility vehicle. Big culture shock, however if Wal-Mart sell something it is likely to be cheaper than anywhere else.

We usually pop into Publix on arrival at the villa and pick up a few essential items for drinks and breakfast plus some hot food from the hot deli counter. Early next morning when we wake before dawn, about 4. 00am, because we are still on UK time, we go to Wal Mart to do a big shop. The store is quiet at this time, the only other shoppers tend to be Brits who cannot sleep. Please note that alcohol cannot be purchased in the middle of the night, not sure of the exact licensing hours

Walgreens drug stores are all over place and sell basic grocery items so you can always pop in on your travels to pick up a bottle of milk. Some stores are open 24/7 others close at 11. 30 ish. First time visitors to the States are always fascinated by the drugs stores as they sell a huge range of medical goods over the counter. I once purchased a dental repair kit to glue in a crown, which did the trick until we got back home. Like chemists at home the pharmacy will offer advice on minor conditions and make recommendations.

Eating Out

Dining out in America can be an obscene experience, portions can be huge however most places don’t bat an eyelid at people sharing deserts or asking for food to packed to be taken away. Most places are very child friendly, ask for a plate for your little one to share your food.

There are some restaurants nearby on the Berry Town Centre complex (same place as Publix supermarket) and many more places to choose from along the 192 catering for all tastes, Chinese, Indian, buffet restaurants, ice cream parlours and shrimp and steak bars. Steaks in the USA are great, two favourite steak houses are Logans and the Longhorn, both situated on the 192. Breakfast is always a good deal, but
    Roger

Gold 5 Star Member
    Some good tips there but...

Not sure about the brown sauce which contains:

Water
    Vinegar
    Dates
    Glucose-Fructose
    Black Strap Molasses
    Tomato Paste
    Modified Cornstarch
    Salt
    Orange Juice Concentrate
    Onion
    Spices
    Tamarind Extract
    Apple Juice Concentrate
    Garlic
    Chili Peppers
    Mustard Flour

Semi-skimmed milk is 2% - full milk is 4% and skimmed is 1%. Don't rely on the coloured tops as these change in different supermarkets.

Keep your bread in the fridge and it stays fresh for ages.

Disney hasn't owned Celebration for some time now.

And not everyone stays on the 27. [msnwink]
    blott

Roger you sound like you do not like Florida ,As when you wrote this it is lots you do not like and guests may read this and see the same .
    There are a lot about Florida that is good why not promote the good thing we all find there .
    Only being constructive
    MAUREEN
    www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mfairhurst
    Roger you sound like you do not like Florida ,As when you wrote this it is lots you do not like and guests may read this and see the same .
    There are a lot about Florida that is good why not promote the good thing we all find there .
    Only being constructive
    MAUREEN
    [/quote]

I'm not sure how you got to that opinion Maureen. It seems very much a positive post on the whole rather than negative.
    Chris

A lot of things are good in Florida and people should not told what is not good before thay go as we all have different tastes in food also other things we like to do .
    It is a learning cerb going to lots of places in life a good experience to find out for yourself.
    We have a book in our villa and all our guests have reccomended places they like and the good things about Florida .
    As i said before only being constructive .Not sarcastic .
    MAUREEN

I also thought Rogers post was a positive one. Fair enough as Blott says, if you are on or near Hwy27 or 192,but there are many Publix and Walmarts around for guests to find. I think it was a very helpful post if you have never visited before, and some useful things for potential guests to look up on the internet before they actually get to the villa and then to read the Owners Handbook.

We all get too blase and think everyone knows this and that, whereas many people would love to read something like Roger's information.

He has taken the time and trouble to write this, well done Roger.

Sandra

Florida Expert
    The only thing we take is salad cream (also have to take it to Europe), redbush teabags (cos I wasn't sure whether I could buy them there and now I still can't remember!), rice milk next time and gluten free bread, biscuits etc. We don't have a problem with ordinary bread, instant coffee or washing powder.
    Everybody has different tastes and people can try themselves or take stuff just in case. Personally I like to try before decideing I'm not gonna like.
    Must have taken a long time doing this post which will be useful if you're on H27 for shopping and something to think about for everyone else

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mfairhurst
    A lot of things are good in Florida and people should not told what is not good before thay go as we all have different tastes in food also other things we like to do.[/quote]So we should only recommend things we like but not mention what we don't?

I think readers should be grateful for the time it has obviously taken to put the post together. Very informative and balanced in my view.

If you drink Nescafe in the UK, buy Taster's Choice in Florida. It is the same coffee. We always buy Taster's Choice Gold Blend from Publix.
    Glenda and Geoff

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sammibabe
    The only thing we take is salad cream (also have to take it to Europe), redbush teabags (cos I wasn't sure whether I could buy them there and now I still can't remember!), rice milk next time and gluten free bread, biscuits etc. We don't have a problem with ordinary bread, instant coffee or washing powder.
    Everybody has different tastes and people can try themselves or take stuff just in case. Personally I like to try before decideing I'm not gonna like.
    Must have taken a long time doing this post which will be useful if you're on H27 for shopping and something to think about for everyone else
    [/quote]Have you tried the new Wholefoods Market up near Universal yet? I take redbush tea too, forgot to look last time to see if they do it but I'm sure they will. They also sell gluten free bread and other foods for people on special diets.

Don't be put off by the Wholefood name they do something for everyone. They also have counters with all kinds of prepared food that you can take away or eat in their cafe. We especially like their nut butter machines, just mush up whatever nuts you like and have as much or as little as you want. They also sell real cheese, we even saw some Borough Market Cheddar from London!